13-f for Q2

dcollon

From Seeking alpha:

Buffett boosts stake in GM, Chicago Bridge, dumps Gannett, Mondelez, Kraft

Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) files its Q2 13-F.

Key increases: GM +60%. CBI +46%. VRSN +33%. BK +30%. USB +27%. NOV +18%.

Key decreases: CGI -100% (sold all). MDLZ -91%. KRFT -87%. MCO -12%. GSK -2%.

New: $23M stake in DISH. $524M stake in SU.

And this -

"Confidential information has been omitted from the public Form 13F report and filed separately with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission."

Can they obtain this permission even when adding to existing holdings, say when going from 1% of the shares to 10% or something, or is this only for new buys?

WTF? Huffington Post is reporting that BRK trimmed WFC and KO?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/warren-buffett-coca-cola_n_3760424.html

Yet this reports an increase of %1 in WFC

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/15/us-berkshire-buffett-idUSBRE97E0FS20130815

Yeah, there are a few wrong reports out; who checks these things!

Yeah clearly whoever writes these articles can't read a 13-f.

And this -

"Confidential information has been omitted from the public Form 13F report and filed separately with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission."

Can they obtain this permission even when adding to existing holdings, say when going from 1% of the shares to 10% or something, or is this only for new buys?

I believe so, although i cant remember why i do...

Been thinking about the missing disclosure(s) on the 13F, and i think there's a good chance it's IBM.

1.)  He's bought more shares every quarter since initiating the position.  So in this Q2 13F it's rather conspicuous that he didn't add a single share even though the price is under some of his prior quarter bids.

2.)  The close of day transactions on IBM stock seem to be showing vwap settlements running a little over 10% of the days trade.  IBM's buyback is good for about 6%-7%. 

3.)  IBM closed Q2 weak giving him a reason to ask the regulator for confidentiality. 

And this -

Been thinking about the missing disclosure(s) on the 13F, and i think there's a good chance it's IBM.

1.)  He's bought more shares every quarter since initiating the position.  So in this Q2 13F it's rather conspicuous that he didn't add a single share even though the price is under some of his prior quarter bids.

2.)  The close of day transactions on IBM stock seem to be showing vwap settlements running a little over 10% of the days trade.  IBM's buyback is good for about 6%-7%. 

3.)  IBM closed Q2 weak giving him a reason to ask the regulator for confidentiality.

My guess would of been DVA for some of the same reasons. I am guessing they will buy DVA in the next year or two.

And this -

My guess would of been DVA for some of the same reasons. I am guessing they will buy DVA in the next year or two.

They're over 10% in DVA so i don't think they can get confidentiality.

WTF? Huffington Post is reporting that BRK trimmed WFC and KO?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/warren-buffett-coca-cola_n_3760424.html

Yet this reports an increase of %1 in WFC

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/15/us-berkshire-buffett-idUSBRE97E0FS20130815

Yeah, there are a few wrong reports out; who checks these things!

Yeah clearly whoever writes these articles can't read a 13-f.

Or perhaps the water coolers and/or coffee machines at Huffington Post are contaminated and need a rinse, thereby making the staff intoxicated.

It's straight out ridiculous, that Reuters doesn't check things out.

thefatbaboon, could you elaborate a bit on your bullet #2 [-while almost all other posts on the board today are about SHLD! - only a few people are speculating about this BRK 13-F omission, based on posts!]

And this -

They're over 10% in DVA so i don't think they can get confidentiality.

Ok, I did not know there were conditions around that regarding confidentiality. I would be surprised at this point if they requested confidentiality for IBM its already a huge position and they have been buying post confidentiality. AFAIK we have yet to see a confidentiality for any of Weschler's or Comb's picks and considering the size we are talking its a likely a WEB pick.

Anyone know if he has ever requested confidentiality for a position they already owned? I am now guessing a new WEB holding, but no idea what :) Or maybe Ted and Todd want more DTV??

Ok, new wild ass guess. Apple!  ;D Very uncharacteristic but its large enough and it is arguably cheap. Unlikely it is Apple.  But to be honest it would not surprise me at all if one or both of the Ts took a large position.

I know you're kidding but I'd be happy to wager that it isn't a tech company  :D

As it is the subject of the day on the board, I'm betting on Sears :P

Seriously, it's fun to do some prediction but I would like it were really Apple!

As they are not disclosing, it means that they are still accumulating, correct? So it will probably a sizeable position, I would say a Buffett position.

Guest longinvestor

Ok, new wild ass guess. Apple!  ;D Very uncharacteristic but its large enough and it is arguably cheap. Unlikely it is Apple.  But to be honest it would not surprise me at all if one or both of the Ts took a large position.

I know you're kidding but I'd be happy to wager that it isn't a tech company  :D

Agree, no tech company. My guess is another large energy producer or even one that consumes large amounts of energy, while soaking up more of BRK's cash in capital investments.

Yeah I was joking. I would not take you up on that bet :) Will be interesting to see what it is.

The one thing I don't understand about Buffett is why he doesn't buy things he obviously thinks are cheap when he has so much cash.  He mentioned that he thought JPM was cheap and he could probably buy more railroads.  I don't think this pick will be either of those, but we'll see what it is.

The one thing I don't understand about Buffett is why he doesn't buy things he obviously thinks are cheap when he has so much cash.  He mentioned that he thought JPM was cheap and he could probably buy more railroads.  I don't think this pick will be either of those, but we'll see what it is.

Warren Buffett has stated in front of camera [it's on YouTube somewhere], that he considers WFC a better bank than JPM. He has also stated, that banks may not become a too big fraction the total BRK portfolio. The new - so far - unkown "Position X" is in the "Commercial, industrial and others" category, ref. the BRK 2013 Second Quarter Report.

Warren Buffett has stated in front of camera [it's on YouTube somewhere], that he considers WFC a better bank than JPM. He has also stated, that banks may not become a too big fraction the total BRK portfolio. The new - so far - unkown "Position X" is in the "Commercial, industrial and others" category, ref. the BRK 2013 Second Quarter Report.

On JPM, afaik he owns it for his personal portfolio, so maybe he's afraid of the appearence of a conflict.