Author Topic: Berkshire 13F  (Read 8678 times)

Jurgis

• Porfolio
Re: Berkshire 13F
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
Yeah, I understand. Good luck.  8)

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
I'm thinking: was Buffett whipsawed out of WMT? is he whipsawing out of IBM?

rb

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »
Here's a crazy idea. Berkshire buying GE. How's that for an elephant?

rolling

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Here's a crazy idea. Berkshire buying GE. How's that for an elephant?
I thought the same a few days ago, but...

Cons:
- lots of debt would need to be issued and big rating downgrade for Bekshire
- buying GE financial arm would make Berkshire too big to fail
- cultural issues at GE could pass to Berkshire: since GE is so big it would be uncertain whether Berkshire culture would ultimately win
- competition issues with Precision Castparts/BNSF could block the deal (very doubtful?)
- problems to fix: berkshire doesn't like fixing problems. They like to keep management teams and that couldn't happen with GE (in addition management would be unlikely to agree to a deal that would send them to unemployment)

So, a buyout is not happening. What could happen would be Berkshire buying parts of the business, which would mostly avoid all cons I previously presented but there would be an additional one: GE is likely trying to get and auction for those businesses and Berkshire avoids auctions.

Anyway: any ideas on potentially interesting GE businesses for Berkshire? Any GE business that could be tucked in with a Berkshire manager?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:08:21 AM by rolling »
My usual portfolio: Highly concentrated (up to 3 or 4 positions) in smallcaps and microcaps.

rb

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Yea it was more of a day dream as GE would be one hell of an elephant. I don't think they'll do GE whole because of the whole bureaucratic mess - Buffett hates that. If there was a deal for GE he'd most likely do it with 3G where he sends in the 3G guys to clean the place up.

I do however think that they may be looking at picking up some GE businesses or at least they should be. Transportation and Lighting especially look like BRK businesses. These could be either stand alone or tucked into Marmon.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
Pieces of GE may fit somewhere. For instance, Aircraft engines within PCP. But, I don't know if there's any brand equity with the GE moniker at all. Without that, the price any piece of GE business is likely very hard to agree upon. Berkshire may want some piece of it without the baggage. Kinda like Lehman without the toxic stuff. I believe GE messed up mightily over the past three decades by attaching the GE moniker to its' aquiree s. There's a big difference between branding yourself to Wall Street versus your customer products. Danaher, for instance, avoids that like the plague.

TorontoRaptorsFan

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
AAPL, BAC, BAM, CMG, DIS, NKE, SBUX
(My Sainted Seven)

John Hjorth

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
Don't be too hard on T & T - if Todd brings Berk another deal like Precision Cast Parts (which Warren said he never heard of), then
the boys will earn their keep.

It was meant as a joke, cubsfan. [ ; - ) ]

- We have this separate topic in the General Discussion forum "Please tell me a joke..."

T&T slapping does not qualify in that particular topic, because the jokes have to be PC [<-relative to this board]. So, basically I just chose to post my comment here, in this topic. Choice between plague and colera. I just couldn't help it, I had to get it out. [ :-) ]

Peace. [ :-) ]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:25:28 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

cubsfan

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
Don't be too hard on T & T - if Todd brings Berk another deal like Precision Cast Parts (which Warren said he never heard of), then
the boys will earn their keep.

It was meant as a joke, cubsfan. [ ; - ) ]

- We have this separate topic in the General Discussion forum "Please tell me a joke..."

T&T slapping does not qualify in that particular topic, because the jokes have to be PC [<-relative to this board]. So, basically I just chose to post my comment here, in this topic. Choice between plague and colera. I just couldn't help it, I had to get it out. [ :-) ]

Peace. [ :-) ]

John - no offense taken at all - I'm a little dense at times - keep the faith.

John Hjorth

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
Thanks, cubsfan,

Absolutely nothing wrong with being dense, and at the same to the point!
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai