Berkshire 2018 Annual Meeting

Graham Osborn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to carpool from NYC and try and keep expenses VERY, VERY low, PM me...I will be driving out...

Sincerely,

ValueMaven

That's the spirit!  Here in Atlanta direct flights on Delta are not too bad.  But given all the New Yorkers going to the meeting you might be able to rent a bus - and call it the "BerBus."

• 3 months later...

Guys I would like to go to the meeting for my first time, although I've researched Buffett for eleven years. I am trying to get there from the San Francisco Bay Area and find lodging as cheaply as possible. Any advice? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest longinvestor

I too can accommodate 1 person in an apartment rental which is walking distance from the market and CenturyLink venue. Available Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. We’re five and it’s a six bed unit. PM me.

We'd love to see those in Omaha at our investor day event immediately after the Saturday meeting. Arquitos Capital, Alluvial Fund, Ironwood Fund, and Bonhoeffer Fund will be presenting. Feel free to stop by, even if just for a few minutes. Additional details below:

May 5, 2018, 4pm-6pm local time

Hilton Hotel, Murray Conference Room (second floor)— 1001 Cass St., Omaha, NE 68102

https://medium.com/@WOAM/investor-day-presentation-may-5-2018-28b71e38ca3a

Here's a preview - https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/05/04/buffett-interview-.html

Interesting comments for me were..

The economy is growing slightly faster than in previous years.

Charlie and Warren have only met once in the last 2 years.

Warren seems to like Apple a lot.

Warren also seems to think that USG should look at a "strategic alternative" - in other words, he does not like the business in the long-term, he would be happy to be bought out.

When you think about it, Berkshire is now buying the only higher-earning nonfinancial company than itself.  There isn’t much left to buy in the public markets - regardless of what the market does - that can really make a dent.  I guess they could buy some Aramco.  They might by some Google sooner or later.  But for really big companies, public or private, the number of candidates looks pretty slim.

Up in the nosebleeds, too. What time do you floor people arrive?

Apparently Berkers are now paying Omahans to camp out overnight to save their spots.  That’s crazy - I don’t care how rich he is.  And there is a kid next to me holding a giant poster of Charlie Munger’s head.

"Everybody knew that America will win the war" - talk about a backwards looking fallacy...

I'm superglad they did. But was it guaranteed? What were the real American win predictions in 1942?

Edit: Let's invert. "Everybody knew that Germany will win the war" in 1942. What would an investment into German stock be worth now?  ::)

"Everybody knew that America will win the war" - talk about a backwards looking fallacy...

I'm superglad they did. But was it guaranteed? What were the real American win predictions in 1942?

Edit: Let's invert. "Everybody knew that Germany will win the war" in 1942. What would an investment into German stock be worth now?  ::)

I have to agree with you on that.  If Hitler hadn’t ejected Jewish quantum physicists, they might have built the fission bomb for the Third Reich - and I think we all know what Hitler would have done to each and every Allied nation that did not “surrender unconditionally” once he was so equipped.  Every nation that is born must die, and investors must consider that in their personal calculations.  I for one know that my calculations do not align 100% with Uncle Sam’s.  But I think if I’d been there I would have bet on the US too - who wants to bet in a nation that nationalizes industry.  And if you’re wrong, you’re screwed anyway.

That said, i am looking for ways to bet on Asia-Pacifc once the securities regulations firm up.  300 years ago it was said that “the sun never sets in the British Empire.” Now, Britain is little more than a flyspeck on the economic landscape.  WW2 devastated the UK economically and paved the way for the US to steal market share.