Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 129785 times)

John Hjorth

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
... That will get me out of my ennui.

:-) In a few days there will be the 13F-HR to study and talk about on here. Digesting a few Howard Mark's memos and thinking about their contents also helps to get out of some kind of feeling of missery, or boredom while waiting - diversion of the mind, based on placebo... It works for me. I also use the Semper Augustus client letter that way - less placebo, more BRK.

Beeing invested in BRK long term actually screews up your hierarchy of needs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:49:18 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

DooDiligence

• Hero due to post count (No superpowers as of 2017)
« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »

Beeing invested in BRK long term actually screews up your hierarchy of needs.

Be of good cheer my long distance friend!

Berkshire provides customers with all of their physiological needs:

Air - NetJets 😜
Water - Boats US 😜
Food - Kraft Heinz, Dairy Queen, CTB & of course See's
Shelter - Clayton, Johns Manville & MiTek, etc.
Safety - via a myriad of insurance products

(Not to mention covering you arse with Fruit of the Loom)

Berkshire provides a path for self actualization & self esteem for employees & "Here's to Love" with Helzberg Diamonds!

Now if it'd just trade down to 1.2 or below (I probably shouldn't wait but I'm a tightwad...)
abev | aapl | bbh | cri | ew | esrx | nsrgy | nvo | rgr | trow | vde

fareastwarriors

« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Warren Buffett Says Money Managers Charge Too Much

The investing great picks a bone with stockpickers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-16/warren-buffett-says-money-managers-charge-too-much

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
I don't really understand this article--Buffett hasn't said anything recently, and this is just some dude talking about what Buffett said a few years ago.  Misleading title honestly.

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
Buffett mentioned that he would be writing "a lot" about fees charged by active managers in the upcoming annual letter.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
Buffett mentioned that he would be writing "a lot" about fees charged by active managers in the upcoming annual letter.

Too many Buffett disciples charge way too much. Even the oft-touted Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb (Sequoia Fund) ... 1%+ for essentially a large cap fund. Why not 0.50%....?

rb

« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »

Too many Buffett disciples charge way too much. Even the oft-touted Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb (Sequoia Fund) ... 1%+ for essentially a large cap fund. Why not 0.50%....?
Yes! On second thought, why not do it for free? Maybe they can sell ads on the investor letters and sponsor the annual meeting.

Mephistopheles

« Reply #417 on: February 16, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »

Yes! On second thought, why not do it for free? Maybe they can sell ads on the investor letters and sponsor the annual meeting.

Lol +1

Meanwhile Buffett's fees were huge as a % of assets (well deserved).

John Hjorth

”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #419 on: February 17, 2017, 05:20:55 AM »
Well that's one way to win in mayonnaise...  Definitely a role for Berkshire to play in a deal this size - and if the structure results in Berkshire going below the threshold for Equity Method accounting of KHC it would bump Berkshire's reported book value and buyback threshold's by a bit.  Will be interesting to watch

Bloomberg: Kraft Heinz Makes Approach to Unilever on Possible Merger.