Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 285412 times)

John Hjorth

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #750 on: April 28, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
General news:

This is the 16,001st post in the Berkshire forum - since February 1st 2009. Fairfax is still ahead, with almost 500 more posts! I think the next investment idea to close the door among those on the tribune is SHLD [with almost 9,200 posts] - I suppose it's fair to say, that a majority of them are not created out of attraction!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:41:51 PM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger

dcollon

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #752 on: May 03, 2018, 05:36:57 AM »
Bloomberg: As Warren Buffett's Empire Expands, Many Jobs Disappear

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-warren-buffett-job-creator/

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #753 on: May 03, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
Bloomberg: As Warren Buffett's Empire Expands, Many Jobs Disappear

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-warren-buffett-job-creator/
Boy, I am relieved to read this report. With the growing stable of owned businesses, I was worried that some of the subs had country club type work environment. Lifetime employment guarantee for all type of shit. Living in Chicago I had heard of the cushiness at Kraft with layers of management each with mini fridges stocked with free food. That was before 3G.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:27:47 AM by longinvestor »

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #754 on: May 03, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
Seems the barrage of Berkshire related news items has begun.  WSJ did a piece today on HomeServices -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coming-to-a-yard-sign-near-you-warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-1525339800

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #755 on: May 03, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:52:40 PM by globalfinancepartners »

John Hjorth

« Reply #756 on: May 04, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »
... you know, just your average 42.5 billion dollar investment ...

Christ, that's a lot! North of 10 percent of Berkshire equity. I hope this goes well.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Dynamic

« Reply #757 on: May 04, 2018, 03:56:01 AM »
I hope it goes well too, John, as that puts my look-through exposure to this 2-bagger in GBP (or 1.9-bagger in USD) up to at least 33.5% at the close, about 6Ό% points coming via our 69.1% BRK.B position. I think it got a little higher at the end of 2016 when our direct AAPL exposure was around 31-32% at market prices, but it's closer to fully-valued now.

I imagine Berkshire bought substantially in the early February dip into the $150s (when a lot of us were busily buying BRK.B in the low $190s on volume around 8 million per day - which for me was cheaper than it is now, thanks to currency swings).

Traded volume was well over 50 million shares a day for all of the 4 or 5 sessions with the lowest prices (and a bit higher than surrounding weeks), so buying about 75 million shares could quite possibly have included a good proportion purchased at some of the lowest prices that quarter, assuming they keep to a modest proportion to avoid causing the price to rise.

I'm pleased to see that large caps with decent volume still provide plenty of opportunities for Berkshire to take meaningful stakes at reasonable valuations.

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #759 on: May 04, 2018, 05:47:09 AM »
Thanks for the link to the full interview!  Sounds like cash levels will be down slightly due to the equity buying, primarily the 75 million additional Apple shares, more than offsetting the PSX sale.  He mentioned that IMC and TTI are up big with the world economy accelerating.  Sounded like he hasn't bought any GE at this point.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/04/warren-buffett-us-economic-growth-is-stronger-than-the-2-percent-or-so-average-since-the-financial-crisis.html

Cheers!