Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 286272 times)

John Hjorth

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #760 on: May 04, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
Post by globalfinancepartners in the AAPL topic three days ago:

I wonder if we will find out on Saturday how large BRK's position in Apple has become.  I would be surprised if buying did not continue in 2018.  It could be enormous by now.

This is just soo cool - a hit exactly in the bulls eye! [ 8 - D ]

”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #762 on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:30 AM »
Great opportunities to buy ahead

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #763 on: May 05, 2018, 05:18:13 AM »
Why do you say that?  Because you think the market will sell it off based on the Q?  I doubt we are that lucky this time, especially after an entire weekend to think it over / have it explained by the boss.  But it would be nice if it did happen.  I'm not holding my breath...

Great opportunities to buy ahead

On another note - I found this interesting: "Our consolidated effective income tax rates for the first quarter of 2018 and 2017 were 29.7% and 27.2% respectively"

Could have been related to the big AIG policy last year, or some other anomaly.  Just wasn't expecting an increase in effective tax rate in the first quarter or the corporate tax cut..

edit:  Also, nice to see GEICO appears to be back to underwriting profits.  Price increases (less than competitors but still increases) appear to have cycled through the renewals.  Revenues at GEICO were up over 15% vs Q1 2017.  (while still profitable on an underwriting basis, the bulk of GEICO's Q1 underwriting results appear to be from favorable development of short-tail prior years' loss estimates)

another note on tax rates:  last year BNSF earned $1.345 billion pretax and $838 million after taxes in Q1.  An effective rate of 37.7%.
This year, BNSF earned $1.5 billion pretax and $1.145 billion after taxes, an effective rate of ~24%.

I was interested to see how the growth at GenRe was developing, since it has really taken off since Ajit was put in charge.  Premiums earned were up 49% at GenRe compared with Q1 2017!  On a lot fewer employees.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:05:03 AM by globalfinancepartners »

Charlie

« Reply #764 on: May 05, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »
Buffett is live on yahoo facebook.  :)

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #767 on: May 06, 2018, 04:55:46 AM »
I put this link the another thread as well, but it is definitely a new development to have many years' footage of entire annual meetings posted on the internet.  I had heard this was going to happen, but assumed yahoo was going to get the footage.  Looks like Becky was the winner on this one -

CNBC Berkshire archive - video footage of entire annual meetings from before the yahoo livestream started, plus CNBC interviews, etc:

https://buffett.cnbc.com/annual-meetings/

Spekulatius

« Reply #768 on: May 06, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
Bloomberg: As Warren Buffett's Empire Expands, Many Jobs Disappear

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-warren-buffett-job-creator/
Boy, I am relieved to read this report. With the growing stable of owned businesses, I was worried that some of the subs had country club type work environment. Lifetime employment guarantee for all type of shit. Living in Chicago I had heard of the cushiness at Kraft with layers of management each with mini fridges stocked with free food. That was before 3G.

They probably should get the fridges back into the offices. If the 3G guys tried their own food every once in a while, they might be more inclined to make it better.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #769 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Hmmm....  To read this article you would think Berkshire didn't pay much to the tax man?!

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/05/14/kindly-87-year-old-man-who-took-all-schoolkids-lunch-money