Author Topic: Daily Journal AGM 20170215 stream by CNBC.com  (Read 16032 times)

CorpRaider

Re: Daily Journal AGM 20170215 stream by CNBC.com
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
Not sure, but it may be because of all the energy he puts into avoiding taxes.

Yeah, mainly doesn't like the origins of the businesses because it was/is kind of scummy based on getting the cable franchises, feels he's a tax zealot, and (me talking here) let's be honest he's probably one of the biggest proponents of alternative metrics (like ebitda) which is partly used to enable his use of massive leverage and obfuscate the nature of the huge capital investments.  Also, in my humble opinion, one should not be surprised that the would not automatically like/admire the largest private landowner in the U.S. or whatever, or someone who engages in all these corporate transactions and tracking stocks to "highlight the value". 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:34:49 PM by CorpRaider »

maybe4less

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »

Yeah, mainly doesn't like the origins of the businesses because it was/is kind of scummy based on getting the cable franchises, feels he's a tax zealot, and (me talking here) let's be honest he's probably one of the biggest proponents of alternative metrics (like ebitda) which is partly used to enable his use of massive leverage and obfuscate the nature of the huge capital investments.  Also, in my humble opinion, one should not be surprised that the would not automatically like/admire the largest private landowner in the U.S. or whatever, or someone who engages in all these corporate transactions and tracking stocks to "highlight the value".

IIRC, he basically said that, because of the scummy way the initial franchises were acquired, he's ignored the industry and therefore Malone. I believe he did say that Malone is obviously a genius or something to that effect.

Value^2

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »

IIRC, he basically said that, because of the scummy way the initial franchises were acquired, he's ignored the industry and therefore Malone. I believe he did say that Malone is obviously a genius or something to that effect.
Yeah, thanks for explaining.... Could you elaborate this one, does this just mean that he's not huge fan of Malone's roll-up strategy?

winjitsu

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »

Yeah, thanks for explaining.... Could you elaborate this one, does this just mean that he's not huge fan of Malone's roll-up strategy?

Don't have the source handy buts it because of the self-dealing that goes on with Malone's entities. These guys pay themselves a exorbitant amount... (though shareholders have done pretty good following them). 

CorpRaider

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »
Yeah, hopefully I made it pretty clear most of that was my inference.  I mean can you see WEB or CTM admiring a guy who launched multiple "tracking stocks"?  LOL.  That would be like them spending a weekend with the guy who was going to create the trusts to hold Berkshire stock before they issued class B.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:05:06 AM by CorpRaider »

SlowAppreciation

• Slow Appreciation
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »
My pleasure, hope you enjoy.

I'll post part 1 when it's done in a few weeks

vikx01

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Eagerly awaiting part 1.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:28:06 PM by vikx01 »

SlowAppreciation

• Slow Appreciation
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Eagerly awaiting part 1.

I'll post it here once it's completed. Also, there were a few parts where I couldn't understand what Charlie said or may have misheard him, so if you find any mistakes please let me know.