Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 467927 times)

Libs

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »
1st Quarter results are out -

http://berkshirehathaway.com/news/MAY0115.pdf

http://berkshirehathaway.com/qtrly/1stqtr15.pdf

Good news:

Operating earnings ex investment and derivative gains / losses = $4.2 billion, by far a new Q1 record and up 20% Y/Y.

Bad news (?):

BV didn't budge. Haven't figured out why.

My username is not a political statement.....and I'm too lazy to change it.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »
"BV didn't budge. Haven't figured out why."

Page 4 of the Q breaks down the changes in comprehensive income.  Unrealized investment losses and foreign currency translation are responsible for most of the difference between the income and the $1.3 Billion increase in net worth.

"Other investments" was hit by a little over a billion dollars - remember that BAC was at 17.89 at year end and 15.39 at the end of the quarter...  warrants to purchase 700 million shares
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:16:21 PM by globalfinancepartners »

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
Does anyone know offhand where did the share count drop come from? (I might dig later, asking in case someone already did).

Thanks
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2015, 03:17:02 PM »
Graham Holdings stock swap primarily.

Does anyone know offhand where did the share count drop come from? (I might dig later, asking in case someone already did).

Thanks

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
Thanks. :)
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

bookie71

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
Doesn't part of share drop come from gift to Gates Foundation (A shares converted to B shares)?
Always remember, Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
I assumed he was asking about total share count (A equivalents or B equivalents) and not changes in the categories that combine for total share count.

Doesn't part of share drop come from gift to Gates Foundation (A shares converted to B shares)?

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
BNSF 10-Q is out as well - always interesting to see.  Another Billion dollar dividended out to Omaha this quarter -

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/934612/000093461215000016/llc-3312015x10q.htm

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2015, 11:54:28 AM »
A friend of mine came with me to Omaha, his first time. He is not a BRK shareholder but owns old names like DIS, WMT etc. and has attended those shareholder meetings. He is used to getting shareholder gifts, discount passes (DIS) etc. He was stunned that they don't given out any freebies at the BRK shareholder meeting. "Not even a can of Coke?" I shared with him Buffett's story of one of the early shareholder meetings, where he had vending machines set up. My friend's comment served as an epiphany of BRK ownership.

Mephistopheles

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
A friend of mine came with me to Omaha, his first time. He is not a BRK shareholder but owns old names like DIS, WMT etc. and has attended those shareholder meetings. He is used to getting shareholder gifts, discount passes (DIS) etc. He was stunned that they don't given out any freebies at the BRK shareholder meeting. "Not even a can of Coke?" I shared with him Buffett's story of one of the early shareholder meetings, where he had vending machines set up. My friend's comment served as an epiphany of BRK ownership.
Well, BRK shareholders get discounts as well - at NFM, GEICO, etc. We also get an open bar and free food on Friday night and Sunday afternoon. And a cheap meal on Saturday evening.