Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 467724 times)

gfp

• Lifetime Member
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2015, 04:22:43 AM »
The PCP deal probably will not have closed by the end of the year.  Also there is a large new purchase of Phillips 66.  Kraft Heinz has signaled it will redeem BRK's costly preferred at their earliest opportunity, which I believe to be sometime next year.  Expect a decent redemption premium for BRK if KHC redeems at the earliest date.  Then you've got BRK selling down the Munich Re stake, Marmon Holdings buying GE Capital's Tank Car leasing business yesterday..

There are so many sources of cash and so many moving parts it's tough to predict where cash will be at any given time.  But there will always be plenty.

thefatbaboon

« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
The PCP deal probably will not have closed by the end of the year.  Also there is a large new purchase of Phillips 66.  Kraft Heinz has signaled it will redeem BRK's costly preferred at their earliest opportunity, which I believe to be sometime next year.  Expect a decent redemption premium for BRK if KHC redeems at the earliest date.  Then you've got BRK selling down the Munich Re stake, Marmon Holdings buying GE Capital's Tank Car leasing business yesterday..

There are so many sources of cash and so many moving parts it's tough to predict where cash will be at any given time.  But there will always be plenty.

My point wasn't really to nit pick if PCP closes before or after New Years Day...nor predict exactly the final tally of Q3/4 new purchases and sales...just think it's interesting in a general sense how easily a $32bn acquisition gets swallowed.   

netnet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
Berkshire Specialty Insurance enters the cyber-security market:
http://www.ibamag.com/news/warren-buffett-enters-the-cybersecurity-insurance-market-25540.aspx

And BRK reduces stake in Munich Re:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gurufocus/2015/10/07/why-warren-buffett-sold-munich-re/

Forbes article cites Jain as saying:“What was a very lucrative business [reinsurance] is no longer a very lucrative business going forward,”

all the best
netnet

fareastwarriors

« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

fareastwarriors

« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »
light reading.  ;)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/warren-buffetts-lucky-millionaires-club-1445419800

Warren Buffett’s Millionaires Club

Early Berkshire stockholders have used shares to finance children’s educations, buy homes, donate to charity

fareastwarriors

« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »

KinAlberta

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
Buffett's Record Gain on Kraft Heinz Masks Stock Market Lapses

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-02/buffett-s-record-gain-on-kraft-heinz-masks-stock-market-lapses

Cliff sounds like an amateur - that's not good for Cliff.

“For a guy whose reputation rests on his investing in the stock market, that’s not good,” said Cliff Gallant, an analyst at Nomura Holdings Inc. “It’s been a tough year.”

Libs

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-02/buffett-s-record-gain-on-kraft-heinz-masks-stock-market-lapses

“For a guy whose reputation rests on his investing in the stock market, that’s not good,” said Cliff Gallant, an analyst at Nomura Holdings Inc. “It’s been a tough year.”

It's a fair comment, the stock portfolio has not done well this year. Buffett would be the first to own up to it.

Honestly I see the stock portfolio as an anchor. I wish BRK could just spin the whole portfolio off to shareholders. Then the market would recognize BRK's  terrific growth as an operating company, and give it a much higher P/E ratio.

How many companies are growing this fast, with such low risk, and selling at such a low P/E ratio ( I think ~13X my 2016 estimates, haven't updated it fow a while).

BRK's advantages as a hunter for operating Co's seem far greater than what we can do in the stock market. I believe Buffett said he can only look at maybe 300 potential stocks now, given BRK's size.

Plus, BRK is stuck with the giant stocks forever. Come hell or high water, if Buffett wanted to sell KO, WFC, AXP, or IBM, it would cause a huge firestorm...could he even sell them without crushing the price?

Heresy, all of this, I know.

My username is not a political statement.....and I'm too lazy to change it.

scorpioncapital

• Lifetime Member
    • scorpion capital
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »

It's a fair comment, the stock portfolio has not done well this year. Buffett would be the first to own up to it.

Honestly I see the stock portfolio as an anchor. I wish BRK could just spin the whole portfolio off to shareholders. Then the market would recognize BRK's  terrific growth as an operating company, and give it a much higher P/E ratio.

How many companies are growing this fast, with such low risk, and selling at such a low P/E ratio ( I think ~13X my 2016 estimates, haven't updated it fow a while).

BRK's advantages as a hunter for operating Co's seem far greater than what we can do in the stock market. I believe Buffett said he can only look at maybe 300 potential stocks now, given BRK's size.

Plus, BRK is stuck with the giant stocks forever. Come hell or high water, if Buffett wanted to sell KO, WFC, AXP, or IBM, it would cause a huge firestorm...could he even sell them without crushing the price?

Heresy, all of this, I know.

I thought the equity portfolio was embedded within the capital of the insurance companies. Therefore a spin-off would require a separation of the entire insurance business and the engine of Berkshire's float and investment capital.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
Warren Buffett Has an Image Problem

Some say billionaire hides behind image of folksy businessman

http://www.wsj.com/articles/warren-buffett-has-an-image-problem-1447371811