Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 467910 times)

CassiusKing1

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Agreed.  Over the last week especially, I've heard so many talking heads saying that Warren has lost it, he's too old, etc.  They're harping on KO, AXP and the stock positions. 

John Hjorth

« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
The PCP aquisition expected to close on January 29th 2016 :

www.berkshirehathaway.com/news/JAN2516.pdf .
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

John Hjorth

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2016, 07:33:25 AM »
Entertaining [biased?] read from Bloomberg with the title : "Who owns the sun?" [Buffett or Musk] - about NV Energy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-solar-power-buffett-vs-musk/

The ending part made me chuckle:
...Collier had planned to retire from his job flying small cargo planes. But he doesn’t want to stop working until he has a better handle on his monthly bills from Buffett’s utility. “If it goes totally haywire, I’m going to look at batteries,” he says. “I’d love to just go off the grid totally, and tell them to f--- off.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

BTShine

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
It's the new training ground for becoming POTUS.

ajc

« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
Entertaining [biased?] read from Bloomberg with the title : "Who owns the sun?" [Buffett or Musk] - about NV Energy:

...Collier had planned to retire from his job flying small cargo planes. But he doesn’t want to stop working until he has a better handle on his monthly bills from Buffett’s utility. “If it goes totally haywire, I’m going to look at batteries,” he says. “I’d love to just go off the grid totally, and tell them to f--- off.”

Surely, good old Uncle Warren wouldn't abuse his position to keep rooftop solar from spreading? Don't you know he only invests in businesses with durable competitive advantages, so that just couldn't be what's happening.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:03:46 AM by ajc »

Spekulatius

« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »
It's the new training ground for becoming POTUS.

Let me guess, ole Warren will pick the blonde.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

John Hjorth

« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »

Surely, good old Uncle Warren wouldn't abuse his position to keep rooftop solar from spreading? Don't you know he only invests in businesses with durable competitive advantages, so that just couldn't be what's happening.

Well, I guess that running a highly regulated business just means that lobbying is part of managing and running the business.

Mr. Buffett has several times in his shareholder letters written about a "social contract" with society in which the company operates.

BRK has so far commited about USD 25B to wind power and solar power.

Just take a look at the german energy companies E.ON and RWE to see what happens "when a social contract is not any longer needed". [It's about nuclear power in the first place [after the Japaneese TEPCO incident], and now also coal powered plants].

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
Buffett will apparently webcast the annual meeting for the first time this year. Great move.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/01/29/for-the-first-time-ever-warren-buffett-plans-to-webcast-berkshires-annual-meeting/
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen