Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 467896 times)

Dynamic

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #590 on: September 08, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »
Nice. Although the financial details are undisclosed this sounds like a typical friendly acquisition, retaining good existing management, and presumably for a reasonable price that would probably return about 9-10% per annum after tax.

I don't have a particularly strong feel for the US market. In the UK I know it's fairly tough on estate agents with internet companies like PurpleBricks.com offering fixed price rather than commission and advertising strongly, though solicitors/conveyancers will still charge a sizeable amount to do the legal work. I've spoken to someone who says it's quite a tough time for estate agents and that these new entrants don't provide what she feels is a proper level of service. However, I think that many people find estate agents bad to deal with very often and would rather have a few thousand pounds more in their pockets than slightly less bad service.

One thing possibly looming is whether or not blockchain technologies could spread into areas like this and replace the layers of companies and registrars who are currently in the trust-but-verify business and who maintain or query ledgers of ownership transactions. Blockchains could eventually provide a distributed trust network for property records and transactions which has the potential to make a lot of these transactions far simpler with far lower frictional costs. If it spreads, it could be a game-changer to certain industries of 'middlemen' and a cost-saver for the rest of us.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #591 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Totally off topic, but for a short time Howie will be the Sheriff in his hometown.  (he has been undersheriff for a while)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-15/there-s-a-new-sheriff-in-town-and-he-s-warren-buffett-s-son

Ballinvarosig Investors

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #592 on: September 20, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
Buffett featuring in a short Forbes article, presumably there'll be a much longer article in the magazine itself when it comes out. Nothing in the web article no one hasn't heard before though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2017/09/20/warren-buffett-my-greatest-investing-advice-and-the-investments-everyone-should-make/#7e9541d1593e

Alex_Lee

« Reply #593 on: September 20, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Buffett featuring in a short Forbes article, presumably there'll be a much longer article in the magazine itself when it comes out. Nothing in the web article no one hasn't heard before though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2017/09/20/warren-buffett-my-greatest-investing-advice-and-the-investments-everyone-should-make/#7e9541d1593e

Thanks for sharing. It's very interesting.

WneverLOSE

« Reply #594 on: September 20, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-buffett-forbes/buffett-calls-pessimists-about-united-states-out-of-their-mind-idUSKCN1BV0A3

Buffett said he expects the Dow Jones Industrial Average to be “over 1 million” in 100 years, up from Tuesday’s close of 22,370.80. He said that’s not unreasonable, given how the index was roughly 81 a century ago.

That's all ? While the raw figure may sound nice it's actually only 3.9% nominal annual return (maybe even negative real returns).

Any thoughts on this ?

John Hjorth

« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
It is what it is, WneverLOSE,

Projections.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:58:03 PM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger

John Hjorth

« Reply #597 on: October 03, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »
This must be fairly big. That flying thing actually has 770 locations.
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #598 on: October 03, 2017, 06:06:25 AM »
It may be 5 or 6 Billion dollars for the entire company.  38% could be $2.25 Billion, the eventual 80% $5 Billion or so.  With few other acquisitions this quarter and what I assume to be a quick closing with Byron as the investment banker and one of the sellers, we will probably find out what Berkshire paid in the annual report cash flow statement.

John Hjorth

« Reply #599 on: October 03, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
I found it as No.15 on Forbes list of largest US private companies.

Sales of USD 19.62 B.
Employees: 27,100.