Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 494904 times)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #690 on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
"ever since Murdoch bought WSJ, I found the articles by WSJ (marketwatch is owned by WSJ) are very biased. Definitely very pro-trump. Sometimes you will see FT and WSj have totally opposite headline on some trump-related news on the front page.  I called WSJ and unsubscribed."

You should subscribe instead to the Communist News Network. Definitely very anti-Trump.

Cardboard
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:48:16 PM by Parsad »

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #691 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
The article was in The Nation, and had nothing to do with Rupert Murdoch or the Wall Street Journal / Marketwatch.  The article in The Nation was pretty bad.  I did not read the other articles summarizing the primary article.

Cardboard, it's OK to be anti-Trump.  At least half the nation feels that way.  For many Americans, he is a national embarrassment - with potentially dangerous ignorance.  It's also OK to be anti-Buffett.  Not as many Americans feel that Warren Buffett is a national embarrassment, but he's not perfect - as is well understood by people on a board like this one, who follow his statements quite closely.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #692 on: February 16, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Sure. What is not ok in my view is to not even want to read/know what the other side is thinking. Confirmation bias is that how they call it?

I have noticed a huge change in what ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN present information since Trump. Has not prevented me from listening to what they say and to then form my own opinion.

Cardboard

Spekulatius

« Reply #693 on: February 16, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
Article is BS. Their utility companies have some of the lowest rates and lowest increases in then ountry. Geico has the lowest rates in many states. I am insured with Geico  in NY and couldn’t get a competitive quote within 15% of Geicos, even with homeowners discount thrown in by some competitors. It was aneifernde story in CA, but here on thrneast coast, it seems that Geico is hard to beat. In any case, their market share isn’t high enough to exert monopoly power, they growth through lower pricing, which is exactly what should happen in capitalism
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

sleepydragon

« Reply #694 on: February 16, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
"ever since Murdoch bought WSJ, I found the articles by WSJ (marketwatch is owned by WSJ) are very biased. Definitely very pro-trump. Sometimes you will see FT and WSj have totally opposite headline on some trump-related news on the front page.  I called WSJ and unsubscribed."

You should subscribe instead to the Communist News Network. Definitely very anti-Trump. This way you can continue living quietly in your echo chamber.

Cardboard

are you kidding. the Chinese govt (and Russia too!) is actively supporting trump and promote him in their country's official news. Murdoch's ex-wife is a Chinese spy and have close relationship with Trump's daughter. in PA, one of the biggest financial backer behind Chinese churches who supported trump is the owner of a coal mine in Guizhou China. Why? because china want to import their coal to America and they believed Trump will increase coal usage in America.

sleepydragon

« Reply #695 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
Article is BS. Their utility companies have some of the lowest rates and lowest increases in then ountry. Geico has the lowest rates in many states. I am insured with Geico  in NY and couldn’t get a competitive quote within 15% of Geicos, even with homeowners discount thrown in by some competitors. It was aneifernde story in CA, but here on thrneast coast, it seems that Geico is hard to beat. In any case, their market share isn’t high enough to exert monopoly power, they growth through lower pricing, which is exactly what should happen in capitalism

I am with Geico for decades now since I graduated from college. I also use Geico for my house insurance (they don't underwrite, just refer and handle billing). I was shopping for house insurance a few months ago and was able to find a lower price else where. But everywhere I asked I couldn't get a lower auto insurance than geico.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #696 on: February 16, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
"Why? because china want to import their coal to America and they believed Trump will increase coal usage in America."

LOL! America does not have a clue what to do with its own coal and now they would import some from China!

I find the Left to be a farce since they lost the election. Prior to also but, now it is worst. The arguments simply make zero sense anymore.

I also find this whole "get Trump" on the Russian potential interference to be a total joke. I mean, Russia makes a few posts on Facebook and the world is falling. They are interfering in our election process!

The U.S. on the other hand eliminates head of states. Just a few examples: Panama, Iraq, Libya under both parties. You even have an ex-President who makes a video to support the election of Macron. Do you imagine Putin going on TV and stating that he wants so and so to be elected somewhere?

Cardboard

sleepydragon

« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
I find the Left to be a farce since they lost the election. Prior to also but, now it is worst. The arguments simply make zero sense anymore.

Cardboard

I have never considered myself as "left" or "right". Nor I judged people this way. I go by decency vs. indecency. 

bizaro86

« Reply #698 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »
Decency vs indecency is a good metric, but so is logic.

And it would be farcical to expect the US to import coal from China, so the idea that anyone with it enough to become rich would spend money promoting that idea seems pretty unlikely to me.

John Hjorth

« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
..."ever since Murdoch bought WSJ, I found the articles by WSJ (marketwatch is owned by WSJ) are very biased. Definitely very pro-trump. Sometimes you will see FT and WSj have totally opposite headline on some trump-related news on the front page.  I called WSJ and unsubscribed."

You should subscribe instead to the Communist News Network. Definitely very anti-Trump.

Cardboard

Sure. What is not ok in my view is to not even want to read/know what the other side is thinking. Confirmation bias is that how they call it?

I have noticed a huge change in what ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN present information since Trump. Has not prevented me from listening to what they say and to then form my own opinion.

Cardboard

Why not just post the second expression first, and then we all get along?

- - - o 0 o - - -

I hope we can now get back to "Buffett/Berkshire - general news".
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai