Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 316995 times)

compoundvalue

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #830 on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
https://youtu.be/fjXZbW8ALRA

I didn’t know these. There are a few more actually

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #831 on: July 03, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
Clayton Properties picked up another traditional homebuilder.  This one in Indianapolis ->
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/38565239/tennessee-company-adds-major-hoosier-homebuilder

John Hjorth

« Reply #832 on: July 03, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
https://youtu.be/fjXZbW8ALRA

I didn’t know these. There are a few more actually

compoundvalue,

Here you go, and enjoy! [You'll most likely be occupied a few hours, if your're interested ... [ : - ) ]
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #833 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
Bolt on of unknown size (likely small) at TTI ->
https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/532037-2018-07/

John Hjorth

« Reply #834 on: July 16, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
Berkshire press release about Mr. Buffett's yearly gifts to the five foundations.

Now ~USD 31 B in total, in this year ~USD 3.4 B, and counting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:59:15 PM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

bizaro86

« Reply #835 on: July 18, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
Berkshire press release about Mr. Buffett's yearly gifts to the five foundations.

Now ~USD 31 B in total, in this year ~USD 3.4 B, and counting.

This kind of got lost in the news about the repurchases. Does anyone know how long it takes before the S&P recalculates the free float shares and increases BRK weighting in the index?

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #836 on: July 18, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question - since most of the shares end up sitting in the Gates foundation for quite a while they might not consider them to be much of an increase in free float right away.  Over time, though, Berkshire will get higher and higher weighting in the index.  It already is a big contributor to most days' price moves since many BRK shares outside of indices just sit there with capital gains nobody wants to realize.

You do have to appreciate what the timing of the two announcements says about Warren, though...  He could have easily made the announcements in the reverse order.  His charitable gifts would have been larger.  But he would never do that and it doesn't really matter.  He can't use the deductions anyway
-------------

I found this post from Geoff Gannon in 2010 that summarizes S&P's methodology -
"According to S&P Float Adjustment Methodology:

In cases where holdings in a group exceed 10% of the outstanding shares of a
company, the holdings of that group will be excluded from the float-adjusted count of
shares to be used in index calculations.

The "groups" they are talking about include current and former officers and directors as well as Foundations. As I understand it - and I may be wrong here - this means shares given by Buffett to the Gates Foundation wouldn't change float in S&P's eyes until Gates Foundation sells shares.

You can read the whole document if you google "S&P Float Adjustment Methodology" and click on the PDF."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:40:52 AM by globalfinancepartners »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #837 on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:18 AM »
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/07/19/bnsf-railway-cio-muru-murugappan.html

Well well well, buzzwords like IOT today are actually 20+ years old at BNSF.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #838 on: July 19, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »
I don't know the answer to your question - since most of the shares end up sitting in the Gates foundation for quite a while they might not consider them to be much of an increase in free float right away.  Over time, though, Berkshire will get higher and higher weighting in the index.  It already is a big contributor to most days' price moves since many BRK shares outside of indices just sit there with capital gains nobody wants to realize.

You do have to appreciate what the timing of the two announcements says about Warren, though...  He could have easily made the announcements in the reverse order.  His charitable gifts would have been larger.  But he would never do that and it doesn't really matter.  He can't use the deductions anyway
-------------

company, the holdings of that group will be excluded from the float-adjusted count of

The "groups" they are talking about include current and former officers and directors as well as Foundations. As I understand it - and I may be wrong here - this means shares given by Buffett to the Gates Foundation wouldn't change float in S&P's eyes until Gates Foundation sells shares.

You can read the whole document if you google "S&P Float Adjustment Methodology" and click on the PDF."

I wonder if the buyback announcement is related to Gates foundation. Perhaps BRK wants to buyback blocks that Gates foundation plans to sell.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money"

rolling

« Reply #839 on: July 19, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »

-------------

I wonder if the buyback announcement is related to Gates foundation. Perhaps BRK wants to buyback blocks that Gates foundation plans to sell.
I would bet that would be the cause. A day after anither big charitable contribution they announce the buyback. Seems to me that if you want to do charity you shouldn't make the charities sell too much below intrinsic value. Bill Gates was likely reluctant  to sell shares at recent prices.
My usual portfolio: Highly concentrated (up to 3 or 4 positions) in smallcaps and microcaps.