Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 488829 times)

Zorrofan

• Lifetime Member
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #870 on: August 14, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »
BRK has held a stake since before it went public. Was wondering whats changed, thought about valuation but WEB didn't sell KO when it was wildly overpriced so......

Dynamic

« Reply #871 on: August 14, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »
Any idea why BRK sold out of Verisk?

There are still 2,780,136 shares of Verisk held by Berkshire care of New England Asset Management 13-F filing owner code 01 02.

Including both 13-F filings, it appears to have declined by -458,692 shares, or -14.2% of the previous quarter's holding, and it just happens that all of Berkshire's direct holdings were eliminated.

More to come via my Look Through Portfolio thread.

Zorrofan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #872 on: August 14, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Any idea why BRK sold out of Verisk?

There are still 2,780,136 shares of Verisk held by Berkshire care of New England Asset Management 13-F filing owner code 01 02.

Including both 13-F filings, it appears to have declined by -458,692 shares, or -14.2% of the previous quarter's holding, and it just happens that all of Berkshire's direct holdings were eliminated.

More to come via my Look Through Portfolio thread.

thanks!!

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #873 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:40 AM »
The only real surprise for me was that he continued to sell down PSX following last quarter's big sale back to the company.  PSX shares continued to rise, in part because of the share retirement Buffett contributed to.  He had said in the press release for the big sale back to the company that he intended to remain a large shareholder.

Maybe he just wanted to give them some room to do more big repurchases before he hits 10% again.

The airline and bank moves were telegraphed a couple days ago.  I guess the Goldman addition is a bit of a surprise since he hasn't added to the position from net-settling the warrants until now as far as I can remember.

John Hjorth

« Reply #874 on: August 15, 2018, 05:23:04 AM »
Perhaps Mr. Buffet needed some cash to hand over more capital to manage by Mr. Combs & Mr. Weshler [and woulden't reduce overall level of cash & T-Bills]? - I'm just speculating here. This "Here are USD X B to manage your own way, but don't buy "my" stocks" can create some odd situations.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #875 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
Man, I think they are off base on the airlines (again).

John Hjorth

« Reply #876 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:59 AM »
Conglomerate investing is like starting mingling and merging toes with another person relatively late in life. You have to take the whole package, or pass.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

longtermdave

« Reply #877 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:50 AM »
Another step back from his many activities. He'd been meeting with students from 40 different universities.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/nebraska/articles/2018-08-14/warren-buffett-is-ending-his-meetings-with-college-students

rb

« Reply #878 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
Not a good sign

nickenumbers

« Reply #879 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »
Experienced and Well Informed Brains of COBF,

Instead of BRK purchasing Class B shares on the open market, could BRK contact large holders of B shares and agree to purchase stock from them directly?

Said differently, are these the most likely methods of BRK repurchasing its own shares:
  • Buy it on the open market
  • Perform a tender offering to all class B shareholders
  • Or, can they purchase from single large class B shareholders
  • Something else??

I think this would enable them to deploy hundreds of millions fast and efficiently, rather than disturb the daily float?  I know that they couldn't give an advantage price to one large share holder over others, but still..

8) ???
The fastest Cheetah still waits for the lame baby antelope.  ..patience..