Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 363275 times)

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #1060 on: February 16, 2019, 05:15:31 AM »
Munger & Buffett
sat on a tuffet
watching their cash pile grow

In walked an elephant
all fat & elegant
and then they laid out some dough

and the cash continued to flow...
Healthcare 38.8% - BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 20.5% // Media & Communication 12.4% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 12.3% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.9% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 2.0% - AAPL

%'s held @ MV 03/15/2019 minus $$$

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Spekulatius

« Reply #1061 on: February 16, 2019, 05:31:13 AM »
Munger & Buffett
sat on a tuffet
watching their cash pile grow

In walked an elephant
all fat & elegant
and then they laid out some dough

and the cash continued to flow...

My own opinion is that they did very little regarding buybacks, as they were napping the entire time. We will find out soon enough.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

John Hjorth

« Reply #1062 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:49 AM »
Hilarious! - Made my day! [ : - ) ]
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Mephistopheles

« Reply #1063 on: February 17, 2019, 01:55:27 AM »
Debbie Bosanek confirmed to CNBC that the small amount of AAPL stock that was sold was attributable to Ted or Todd.  Could have been pension shares, since that is a big part of what they manage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/berkshire-trimmed-its-apple-stake-but-it-wasnt-buffett.html

It’s concerning to me that Buffett replied to a request for comment, when does he ever do that, especially regarding the stock portfolio?? Is he planning on selling Apple shares and wants to hold the price up? Why wouldn’t he want people to think that he himself is reducing shares? Presumably he’d only benefit if the stock drops due to repurchases or him buying more.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1064 on: February 17, 2019, 05:24:47 AM »
I agree to some extent that it is unusual and unnecessary.  If I had to guess I would guess that: a.)  He doesn't like the press running with false headlines about him that other, less sophisticated, investors might make investment decisions based on - and b.) He feels some desire to show he supports Tim Cook at Apple, and is not 'pulling a Ginni Ronmety' on him...

Debbie Bosanek confirmed to CNBC that the small amount of AAPL stock that was sold was attributable to Ted or Todd.  Could have been pension shares, since that is a big part of what they manage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/berkshire-trimmed-its-apple-stake-but-it-wasnt-buffett.html

It’s concerning to me that Buffett replied to a request for comment, when does he ever do that, especially regarding the stock portfolio?? Is he planning on selling Apple shares and wants to hold the price up? Why wouldn’t he want people to think that he himself is reducing shares? Presumably he’d only benefit if the stock drops due to repurchases or him buying more.

woodstove

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1065 on: February 17, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »
And perhaps c) Reminder that not all decisions/actions of Berkshire are made at Omaha office, now including capital allocation decisions.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1066 on: February 17, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »
And perhaps c) Reminder that not all decisions/actions of Berkshire are made at Omaha office, now including capital allocation decisions.

Yeah - “Warren Buffett daytrades in and out of Oracle!”  “The Oracle of Omaha abandons Oracle!”

bennycx

« Reply #1067 on: February 17, 2019, 08:43:16 AM »
Berkshire should convert into a bank holding company and increase its stake or buy over a bank.

John Hjorth

« Reply #1068 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
Berkshire should convert into a bank holding company and increase its stake or buy over a bank.

Personally I think that'll never happen, benny,

It's not only about status of Berkshire as a bank holding company with the required regulatory reporting, but also about reporting about Berkshire subs doing business with a particular bank on arms length basis. Please try to think about the business volume of all the Berkshire subs with BAC, WFC & JPM. I don't know anything specific about it, and have no data to support my line of thinking, just here assuming it must be: "a lot".
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

John Hjorth

« Reply #1069 on: February 17, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Here, I'm sorry for double posting.

To me, [and thereby to you, as a CoBF member], this may be a non-event, based on Dynamic's reporting about the Berkshire portfolio EOP 2018Q4. Dynamic has documented, that this is about a reduction of about 50k shares AAPL, while "The Press" talks about - and covers - something else.

-In short, & frankly, it's actually not worth our time and attention. -Simply, because it does not matter for our individual investment in Berkshire in any material way.

- - - o 0 o - - -

The e-mail from Ms. Bosanek to Reuters has some interesting angles - by principle - however, if one thinks about it. To me, it's a tiny supplementary information, based on a situation not seen before, caused by the two of the four don't knowing exactly what the other "two"s are up two to. In short, this may likely happen again.