Author Topic: Howard Buffett  (Read 7072 times)

Gregmal

Re: Howard Buffett
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:15 AM »
I don’t really see how this is anything more than a classic example of “rich guy with a weird hobby”....

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »
There is a thread on the same topic in Politics section that has some additional links. May or may not be useful. Just FYI.

Thanks Jurgis.  I never read the politics section as the internet seems to attract silly tribalism on all sides.  I'll take a look this afternoon.

SJ

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
I read part of the Buffett article, but skipped over his "America Eats its Young" one.

"The images depict a group of three friends standing proudly, armed to the teeth, striking their best badass poses."

This doesn't strike me as unbiased, quality journalism.

Warren Buffett has a bit of a funny worldview. But seems to be a pretty good business man.

How is what he's doing "extreme"? He hasn't killed anyone and is trying to help enforce the law.  I really don't see how it's "extreme".  I personally think a wall is a waste of money (but probably less of a waste than many other government expenditures).

Okay, I might be the only one who thinks that a civilian going out on armed patrol at night is extreme.  I guess I just figure that type of behaviour would put a guy in the 0.1% or maybe even the 0.01% of the population.  It's not quite vigilantism, but...

"Normal" leisure behaviour might be watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game, which would put you in the 10%?

All in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

SJ

John Hjorth

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
I'll just read the annual report in full and try to stay open minded till then. At least I'll learn something about the line of thinking of the man. He has put a lot of effort into the report, that's evident just from a quick glance.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
I read part of the Buffett article, but skipped over his "America Eats its Young" one.

"The images depict a group of three friends standing proudly, armed to the teeth, striking their best badass poses."

Warren Buffett has a bit of a funny worldview. But seems to be a pretty good business man.

How is what he's doing "extreme"? He hasn't killed anyone and is trying to help enforce the law.  I really don't see how it's "extreme".  I personally think a wall is a waste of money (but probably less of a waste than many other government expenditures).

Okay, I might be the only one who thinks that a civilian going out on armed patrol at night is extreme.  I guess I just figure that type of behaviour would put a guy in the 0.1% or maybe even the 0.01% of the population.  It's not quite vigilantism, but...

"Normal" leisure behaviour might be watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game, which would put you in the 10%?

SJ

I don't think it's all that "extreme" ;)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-border-militia-caravan-20181026-story.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-militia/armed-patriots-the-private-citizens-out-to-secure-the-u-s-border-idUSKBN0H50VA20140910

I think that so many people, like the article, try to do character assignation on others just because they don't like their opinions on something. It happens all the time for liberals and conservatives.

Paul

Gregmal

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
The Buffetts have always been very patriotic. Warren is always talking about how great America is.

Only recently have liberal loonies tried to slant patriotism as something unsavory. It's disgusting.

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »

SJ

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-border-militia-caravan-20181026-story.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-militia/armed-patriots-the-private-citizens-out-to-secure-the-u-s-border-idUSKBN0H50VA20140910

I think that so many people, like the article, try to do character assignation on others just because they don't like their opinions on something. It happens all the time for liberals and conservatives.

So there's a couple hundred people along the border who are involved in this type of activity, but it's not extreme?  There's more than a couple hundred in the Michigan and Montana militas, but despite the numbers, I don't think I'd characterize those as "main stream."

SJ

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:00 PM »
I know plenty of people who would do it if they lived closer.

The mentality is way more common than what you think.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but, I find it almost admirable - putting one's self in harm's ways to do what they think is right (whether it is right or wrong is debatable). It's much easier to sit in a high rise and dole out money.
Paul

RadMan24

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

SJ

So there's a couple hundred people along the border who are involved in this type of activity, but it's not extreme?  There's more than a couple hundred in the Michigan and Montana militas, but despite the numbers, I don't think I'd characterize those as "main stream."

SJ

Dude, you're blowing this way out of proportion. 1.) He has written a book on the issue, if you want to know what he thinks first hand, read the damn book. 2.) He has a ranch by the border, has seen drug smuggling and human trafficking first hand. 3.) The liberal media has brain washed you and nearly everyone else to thinking border security is anti-immigration and taboo.

I think that sums up this post.

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »

SJ

SJ

Dude, you're blowing this way out of proportion. 1.) He has written a book on the issue, if you want to know what he thinks first hand, read the damn book. 2.) He has a ranch by the border, has seen drug smuggling and human trafficking first hand. 3.) The liberal media has brain washed you and nearly everyone else to thinking border security is anti-immigration and taboo.

I think that sums up this post.

Brain washed by liberal media?  I don't think so.  You haven't the faintest clue what I think of border security or immigration.  I most definitely have views on the matter, just as I have views on drug trafficking, theft and white-collar crime.  If Howie had donned a kevlar vest and started patrolling the inner city of LA to prevent drug trafficking as some sort of civilian police officer wannabe or if he had done a "Patrick Byrne" and created a wacky website about white collar crime, you probably would have seen a similar uncomfortable post from me.  With respect to the other end of the political spectrum, I'd be equally intrigued if he were involved in the sit-in against the Keystone pipeline or if he were involved in the 1% protests.  All of those are considerably more activist behaviours than what I'd like to see from a company director, particularly one who has been designated to be the conservative guy putting the brake on organisational culture change.

The particular challenge is that the most unhinged people on both ends of the spectrum tend to get attracted like moths to a light to these activist sorts of behaviours.  So, is that Howie or not?

SJ