Author Topic: Personal Letter from Warren Buffett  (Read 12940 times)

cobafdek

Personal Letter from Warren Buffett
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
This year marks the tenth anniversary of my receiving a personal reply from WEB, on Berkshire stationary over his original signature.  The story:

That year I thought I had solved the Berkshire succession problem (or at least postpone it for a good 45 years), as well as the task of getting his autograph.  I entered WEB's name and address into my gifting list at amazon.com and sent him this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-120-Year-Diet-Double/dp/1568581572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403241420&sr=8-1&keywords=beyond+the+120+year+diet+how+to+double+your+vital+years

Total cost to me (book price + shipping/handling):  $15.19.

A week later, I got his terse reply:  "Methuselah has thrown in the towel.  Thanks."  I think I'll frame this for posterity.

1.  Was I being a mere sucker-acolyte to buy something for a multi-billionaire, just to get his autograph?

2.  Or, on the contrary, was the $15 a good value investment on my part?

peter1234

Re: Personal Letter from Warren Buffett
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Congratulations, this is a thoughtful gift. Amazing that he still replies personally.

If you really contributed to prolonging his life and got some personal satisfaction from his reply, I think this is a wonderfully valuable contribution.

:)

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
This year marks the tenth anniversary of my receiving a personal reply from WEB, on Berkshire stationary over his original signature.  The story:

That year I thought I had solved the Berkshire succession problem (or at least postpone it for a good 45 years), as well as the task of getting his autograph.  I entered WEB's name and address into my gifting list at amazon.com and sent him this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-120-Year-Diet-Double/dp/1568581572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403241420&sr=8-1&keywords=beyond+the+120+year+diet+how+to+double+your+vital+years

Total cost to me (book price + shipping/handling):  $15.19.

A week later, I got his terse reply:  "Methuselah has thrown in the towel.  Thanks."  I think I'll frame this for posterity.

1.  Was I being a mere sucker-acolyte to buy something for a multi-billionaire, just to get his autograph?

2.  Or, on the contrary, was the $15 a good value investment on my part?

If you are happy you received the letter, who cares?  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

cobafdek

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:22:07 AM »
"1.  Was I being a mere sucker-acolyte to buy something for a multi-billionaire, just to get his autograph?

2.  Or, on the contrary, was the $15 a good value investment on my part?"

These are just tongue-in-cheek questions ( I was in a whimsical mood.)  I could have used these to start a poll, but thought better about it.

Alas, I don't think I affected WEB's diet one whit.  He has, however, gone another 10 years.  Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:25:15 AM by cobafdek »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:12 AM »
Congratulations, this is a thoughtful gift. Amazing that he still replies personally.

If you really contributed to prolonging his life and got some personal satisfaction from his reply, I think this is a wonderfully valuable contribution.

:)

+1

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:29:29 AM »
i would like a personal letter/signature from him

how do you guys suggest i go about getting a letter/signature from the oracle?

i tried once before, i didn't get anything
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:36:20 AM by hyten1 »

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »

Alice Schroeder had this advice in her reddit chat recently:
"Contacting Warren Buffett. He prefers to be contacted in writing and likes handwritten or typed letters more than email. Write him a letter at Kiewit Plaza. As a side note, a lot of people write him with essentially the following message: Dear Mr. Buffett, you are wonderful, will you please do the following for me (a) hire me (b) give me money (c) speak at my event (d) donate to my charity (e) be my mentor (f) help me get out of prison (g) help me market my invention. He gets thousands of these letters -- no kidding! Be original and you're more likely to get his attention."

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/2550vq/hi_im_alice_schroeder_author_of_the_snowball

petey2720

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »

A little over 10 years ago I sent him a letter suggesting a company for acquisition be Berkshire.  It was a bolt-on acquisition for one of the retail companies.  He thoughtfully replied in writing, thanked me and congratulated the family of the company I recommended but said that it would not meet their size requirements.

So I suggest that you come up with a private company worthy of acquisition and send a letter.

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »
I tried writing him like 3.5 years ago or something.

In my letter, I wrote how he's a big role model for me and things. I even tried to be somewhat creative and included a sharpie to sign it and a self addressed and posted paid envelope to send the autograph back. I'm like "I don't want shareholders to bear any cost so included is a pen and return envelope." I had delivery confirmation on it and saw it arrive. I saw it being sent back and I got so excited. haha...yeah, super nerdy.

I open the envelop and I see a signature. "Yesss!" I thought to myself...only to find out that it was his secretary's signature with a form letter. :(
Paul

tede02

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »
I sent Warren a letter when I was in college in the early 2000s and received a little hand written note back.  I was pumped!  Still have it.  At the time, I asked him for any suggestions about good money managers to work for in the Minneapolis area.  His rely was very brief and written with a sharpie, "Ted, no ideas re Twin Cities, but good luck!  Warren Buffett. 

It seems like over the past 10 years Buffett's popularity has grown exponentially.  My guess is he gets more mail now than ever, so getting a response is probably also harder than ever.