Author Topic: Semper Augustus letter  (Read 15082 times)

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
Re: Semper Augustus letter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 05:40:08 AM »
http://www.loschmanagement.com/content/operating-earnings

Here's another nice one on BRK. While not as deep an analysis, it is the first one (what I've seen) that breaks out how capital is being allocated into the 5 buckets (priorities mentioned in the chairman's letter). Roughly $200 B into wholly owned businesses/PPE versus $22 B into equities from 2006-16.

John Hjorth

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »

Here's another nice one on BRK. While not as deep an analysis, it is the first one (what I've seen) that breaks out how capital is being allocated into the 5 buckets (priorities mentioned in the chairman's letter). Roughly $200 B into wholly owned businesses/PPE versus $22 B into equities from 2006-16.
longinvestor,

Also a very good read - this with a new angle on things [straight cash flow vs. allocation of capital]. Thanks for sharing.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

jberkshire01

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »

John Hjorth

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Today I received an email from Chad, containing the SA client letter. Basicly, the client letter was contained as two attachments to the email, consisting of a cover letter [in pdf] and the document [in pdf] linked to by jberkshire01 above.

Attached is the cover letter, as promised [nothing material news in that].
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Did you guys see his returns?

Since inception net of fees is 5.4% vs 5.1% with the S&P 500. take taxes into consideration and I bet the index wins by a decent margin.
Paul

John Hjorth

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »

Since inception net of fees is 5.4% vs 5.1% with the S&P 500. take taxes into consideration and I bet the index wins by a decent margin.

Paul,

Yes, I [for one] noticed that. [However I'm not sure I understand your comments about the S&P 500 - as I understand things, S&P 500 is measured before tax].

Earlier [after my first post in this topic] I looked up the quaterly holdings for SA on Edgar, and what stoke my mind [from a quick view on it] was that XOM was the second biggest position, next to BRK, in the fund. I would really like to read more about that SA thesis [based on value investing [pricing power etc.], but I'm not entitled to, as a non client.

However, that does not change my mind on or my perception of the SA BRK analysis.

ZenaidaMacroura

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »

Paul,

Yes, I [for one] noticed that. [However I'm not sure I understand your comments about the S&P 500 - as I understand things, S&P 500 is measured before tax].

Earlier [after my first post in this topic] I looked up the quaterly holdings for SA on Edgar, and what stoke my mind [from a quick view on it] was that XOM was the second biggest position, next to BRK, in the fund. I would really like to read more about that SA thesis [based on value investing [pricing power etc.], but I'm not entitled to, as a non client.

However, that does not change my mind on or my perception of the SA BRK analysis.
Is XOM a relatively recent pickup?

John Hjorth

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »

Paul,

Is XOM a relatively recent pickup?

ZenaidaMacroura,

I haven't checked it out, so I don't know.

Disclosure : I have a small position myself in XOM [less than 2% for myself, less than 0,5% on overall level], and I'm [personally] up about 9% [ex. dividends, in my own obscure functional currency [DKK], related closely to EUR] since I bought it, about the same time that BRK invested in XOM.

doughishere

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »

That was really good.

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 07:04:12 AM »

Paul,

Hey John,

The S&P 500 is super tax efficient so the returns are very close to what you'd have since turnover is so low. Granted, once you eventually sell it you'll owe taxes but on year to year basis, not much is going on besides dividends.
Paul