Author Topic: Charlie Munger and Li Lu interview in China (august 18)  (Read 3607 times)

Charlie

Re: Charlie Munger and Li Lu interview in China (august 18)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:37:08 AM »
I remember that Munger said that Chinese people have some mathematical advantages, because historically
they were very good in counting rice.

To many people this will sound too simplistic, but I think itīs a very plausible explanation.

merkhet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
I remember that Munger said that Chinese people have some mathematical advantages, because historically
they were very good in counting rice.

To many people this will sound too simplistic, but I think itīs a very plausible explanation.

I mean, the better explanation is likely that the Chinese numeric system is easier than the Arabic numeric system.

The problem with the other stuff in this thread, of course, is that it is very difficult to do a solid double-blind experiment with proper control and experimental groups for this kind of stuff...

Deepdive

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 07:51:42 AM »
Maybe Charlie was actually being very politically correct by not mentioning the alternative to adopting Chinese girls.  Years ago, I overhead an older Canadian couple who was having a conversation.  The older gentleman mentioned this phenomenon of adopting Chinese girls from poor Chinese villages.  He mentioned that black and white babies up for adoption in North America sometimes came from young moms who had drug problems, engaged in sex work, etc.  People have experiences where the adopted babies exhibited behavioral problems and it ruined their adoption experience.  In contrast, the Chinese baby girls were put up for adoption due to poverty and/or the one child policy that favors baby boys.  I guess if you are spending thousands of dollar in adoption, you probably talked to people and words get around.  In short, one population was a potential land mine for behavioral problems and another population was consistently devoid of defect.  Making this differentiation was likely okay on an airplane in a semi-private conversation.  For Charlie to talk about "crack babies" on public television will likely bring out all the social justice warriors.

Charlie also said that the adopted babies were better than if the parents had had their own children. He wasn't talking about crack babies. He also wasn't just praising to gain favor with his audience. He brought up the gambling stereotype which was not intended to be complimentary. Charlie is at a point where he can say what he thinks ... as am I.

Scientifically, how does Charlie observe, measure, and quantify the performance of the adopted babies versus that of "never been born" babies?   Better than if the parents had had their own children?  Aren't we giving Charlie too much credit here? 

theasiareport

• The Asia Report
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 08:03:05 AM »
I am Chinese (Singaporean). I am doubtful of the genetic claims.

However - I think there are strong cultural norms which exert a push towards working hard. If you look at the history of China, individuals who wanted to "leap above their position in society" had option of the Gao Kao (National Examination) to become selected as a public official.

This narrative feed strongly into what we are taught from young (same stories for other overseas Chinese in Taiwan, Hong Kong etc) - and why its so necessary to study hard at school to succeed in life.
The Asia Report - Value Investing In The Emerging Markets.

Covering Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan.

captkerosene

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
Had dinner with a friend last night who is acting as a surrogate mother. The adoptive parents chose an Indian engineer/Chinese mother donor combination for their child. They also can choose the sex of the child ahead of time. The fertility doc said that designer babies are on the way as more and more traits can be selected.