Author Topic: American Gods - Neil Gaiman, Old Man's War by John Scalzi  (Read 2061 times)

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
American Gods - Neil Gaiman, Old Man's War by John Scalzi
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:37:19 PM »

Surprisingly, I haven't read it before, something always kept me away from reading anything by Neil Gaiman.  I'm hooked.  American Gods is really well written, flowing albeit slightly tedious at time. Of course, not Lord of The Rings sort of tedious (which, somehow, I've managed to read three times).  Highly recommended.

Also, read this week Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Was enjoyable, like those movies you forget the following day; doesn't get close to American Gods but still is worth a read on a beach somewhere.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: American Gods - Neil Gaiman, Old Man's War by John Scalzi
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
I loved "Old Man's War."
"Ghost Brigades" & "Last Colony" are really good too.

If you like the "Old Man" series, try Haldeman's "Forever War".

I miss being able to read fiction & plan on hitting "Slaughterhouse Five" over the Christmas Holidays.
I saw a documentary on Vonnegut a few months ago & was surprised that he was a POW in Dresden during the bombings.

Do you have any suggestions along the lines of "Old Man's War"?
Healthcare 39.2% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 20.3% // Media & Communication 12.3% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 11.9% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 12.3% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 3.9% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 01/03/2019 minus $$$ 4 skool

waiting

https://twitter.com/tunawish

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
I loved "Old Man's War."
"Ghost Brigades" & "Last Colony" are really good too.

If you like the "Old Man" series, try Haldeman's "Forever War".

I read "Coraline", "American God's" and "Anansi Boys" & found Gaiman to be entertaining & a little weird.

I miss being able to read for pleasure & plan on hitting "Slaughterhouse Five" over the Christmas Holidays.
I saw a documentary on Vonnegut a few months ago & was surprised that he was a POW in Dresden during the bombings.

Do you have any suggestions along the lines of "Old Man's War"?
Healthcare 39.2% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 20.3% // Media & Communication 12.3% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 11.9% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 12.3% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 3.9% - AAPL SFTBY

waiting

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »

Thanks, will add those to the list.

Well, a while back I binged on The Expanse which is the best hardcore sci fi I've ever seen, really good.  It's based on the series by James S. A. Corey which might be worth checking out.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:30 PM »

So, I've read Ghost Brigade, it's a light-spinoff, an easy beach read.  Pleasant enough.  Forgot it about an hour later :)

Then, went with Anansi Boys, which is not really a sequel to American Gods, but still worth a read. Quite enjoyable.  Then, Monarch of The Glen, a short story which goes on about Shadow in Scotland.  And last, The Ocean at the End of the Lane which is pretty darn good for a fantasy book.  I would have enjoyed it tremendously as a kid. After that I could not keep reading any of Gaiman's other books, it seems I have overdosed and now in need of some hardcore sci-fi.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »

So, I've read Ghost Brigade, it's a light-spinoff, an easy beach read.  Pleasant enough.  Forgot it about an hour later :)

Then, went with Anansi Boys, which is not really a sequel to American Gods, but still worth a read. Quite enjoyable.  Then, Monarch of The Glen, a short story which goes on about Shadow in Scotland.  And last, The Ocean at the End of the Lane which is pretty darn good for a fantasy book.  I would have enjoyed it tremendously as a kid. After that I could not keep reading any of Gaiman's other books, it seems I have overdosed and now in need of some hardcore sci-fi.

I'm with you on Gaiman.
A little bit is great, but goes a long ways.

I'm thinking about re-reading some Heinlein over the semester break.

Red Planet
Starman Jones
Space Cadet

They, among other stories, were dubbed the juvenile novels, but I think they crossover well to adults (either that or I'm just a kid at heart.)
Not hardcore sci-fi, but I enjoyed them a lot.

waiting

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
I'll second Forever War if you like that kind of military sci-fi that StarShip Troopers started (Forever War is to the Vietnam war what Starship Troopers was to WWII).

I remember not liking American Gods nearly as much as most people. But that was a long time ago so memory's fuzzy on it... I mostly remember what is basically a short-story stuck somewhere in about the frozen lake with the car on it.

Scalzi is one of the original wave of bloggers. One thing that he wrote that got really viral back in 2005 might interest you:

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2005/09/03/being-poor/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:53:36 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | The importance of saying 'oops'

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »
I'll second Forever War if you like that kind of military sci-fi that StarShip Troopers started.

I remember not liking American Gods nearly as much as most people. But that was a long time ago so memory's fuzzy on it... I mostly remember what is basically a short-story stuck somewhere in about the frozen lake with the car on it.

Scalzi is one of the original wave of bloggers. One thing that he wrote that got really viral back in 2005 might interest you:

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2005/09/03/being-poor/

Thanks, I'd never seen his blog.

I'm thankful to not have any emotional connection to that poem.

But I may have one to Scalzi, that I never knew existed.

He likes cats,
I like cats,
But am not presently owned by one.

I like the "Whatever Holiday Shopping Guide"
and it's coming tomorrow!

Virtue Signaling & other Heresies seals my affection for the guy.

waiting

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »

Started KingKiller Chronicles due to the Amazon reviewes and dumped it after reading a tenth.  It's absolute crap. Horribly written.

Somehow I ended up with Guns, Germs and Steel (why tech/nations developed in certain parts of the world) which I have been meaning to read for awhile now and All the Light We Cannot See (WWII fiction).

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »

Started KingKiller Chronicles due to the Amazon reviewes and dumped it after reading a tenth.  It's absolute crap. Horribly written.

Somehow I ended up with Guns, Germs and Steel (why tech/nations developed in certain parts of the world) which I have been meaning to read for awhile now and All the Light We Cannot See (WWII fiction).

Guns, Germs and Steel was a good read. Makes you think about humans from a macro perspective. Sapiens was like that too.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | The importance of saying 'oops'