Author Topic: American Gods - Neil Gaiman, Old Man's War by John Scalzi  (Read 1695 times)

writser

Re: American Gods - Neil Gaiman, Old Man's War by John Scalzi
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:07:53 PM »
Funny, I really liked the Kingkiller Chronicles. Different tastes I guess. Now reading the Dresden files. Bit over the top but very enjoyable, especially the later books. Old Man's War is on my to-read list. I read American Gods as well a long time ago. It was good but Gaiman is a bit too pretentious for me. If you enjoy stuff that's a bit harder to read you might like 'Seveneves'. Really enjoyed that one. My all time favorite is probably the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons (except for the pretentious poetry parts). I hope they turn that into a great movie at some point.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:10:19 PM by writser »
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »

Started KingKiller Chronicles due to the Amazon reviewes and dumped it after reading a tenth.  It's absolute crap. Horribly written.

Somehow I ended up with Guns, Germs and Steel (why tech/nations developed in certain parts of the world) which I have been meaning to read for awhile now and All the Light We Cannot See (WWII fiction).

Guns, Germs and Steel was a good read. Makes you think about humans from a macro perspective. Sapiens was like that too.

That's exactly what I was thinking about as I have previously read Sapiens; how would you compare the two?

Regarding thinking about humanity/humans from the macro perspective, you also got that in science-fiction...

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
Funny, I really liked the Kingkiller Chronicles. Different tastes I guess. Now reading the Dresden files. Bit over the top but very enjoyable, especially the later books. Old Man's War is on my to-read list. I read American Gods as well a long time ago. It was good but Gaiman is a bit too pretentious for me. If you enjoy stuff that's a bit harder to read you might like 'Seveneves'. Really enjoyed that one. My all time favorite is probably the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons (except for the pretentious poetry parts). I hope they turn that into a great movie at some point.

What did you like about Kingkiller Chronicles?  I hope I don't put anyone off with my harsh comment if it's any good... some peopel seem to love it.

Funny you mention Dresden, that's how I got to the current list of WWII books as I was looking for some info on Youtube about the rebuilding of Germany after WWII and the impact on Dresden.  There's plenty of footage in color, showing the aftermath; rows and rows of ruined buildings, people pushing carts as no gas is available, the wounded laying on the sides of the road. And it's all in silence; no booming guns, no thunders planes.  Horrorifying.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »

What did you like about Kingkiller Chronicles?  I hope I don't put anyone off with my harsh comment if it's any good... some peopel seem to love it.

Funny you mention Dresden, that's how I got to the current list of WWII books as I was looking for some info on Youtube about the rebuilding of Germany after WWII and the impact on Dresden.  There's plenty of footage in color, showing the aftermath; rows and rows of ruined buildings, people pushing carts as no gas is available, the wounded laying on the sides of the road. And it's all in silence; no booming guns, no thunders planes.  Horrorifying.

I recently saw a documentary on Vonnegut & found out that he was a POW in Dresden during the bombings.
I was going to read Slaughterhouse 5 next but decided that I just want to be entertained instead of being taught hard life lessons.

Hence, the Heinlein juvenile novels are on deck.
Healthcare 40.8% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 14.7% // Media & Communication 12.7% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.8% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.4% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 11/23/2018 minus $$$ 4 skool

ready 2 wait

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
I was going to read Slaughterhouse 5 next but decided that I just want to be entertained instead of being taught hard life lessons.

I think you misunderstood what Slaughterhouse 5 is. Read it. You'll be entertained.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on aging research

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »

I think you misunderstood what Slaughterhouse 5 is. Read it. You'll be entertained.

Your recommendation has me intrigued.
Will I have to think a lot?

After finals next week, my thinker will be temporarily out of commission.
Healthcare 40.8% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 14.7% // Media & Communication 12.7% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.8% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.4% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 11/23/2018 minus $$$ 4 skool

ready 2 wait

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
Your recommendation has me intrigued.
Will I have to think a lot?

After finals next week, my thinker will be temporarily out of commission.

No, it's a fun novel, it's funny, it's kind of sci-fi. It's a fun ride, and pretty short. It's not Serious Literature(TM).
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on aging research