Author Topic: Antifragile - Nassim Nicholas Taleb  (Read 14912 times)

CorpRaider

Re: Antifragile - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
Yeah, I can't read him.  I've started them all and finished none.  Seems like a bunch of hypothesis with obscure classical references thrown in for totally unrelated bona fides.  He's like Dennis Miller without any attempt at humor.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
Yeah, I can't read him.  ... Seems like a bunch of hypothesis with obscure classical references thrown in for totally unrelated bona fides.

+10 or so  8)

handycap5

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »
I find it interesting that his tax cab driver example being antifragile is looking more dubious. Not critical of him or the analogy, just amazed how fast the world changes...

Spekulatius

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
Yeah, I can't read him.  ... Seems like a bunch of hypothesis with obscure classical references thrown in for totally unrelated bona fides.

+10 or so  8)

I liked "Fooled by randomness". The rest of his books are just repetitions of the same idea, written with pompous prose.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »

+10 or so  8)

I liked "Fooled by randomness". The rest of his books are just repetitions of the same idea, written with pompous prose.

These were great books!  ;) Their only crime is that they were disruptive, & revealed way too many secrets.
His prose is just a satire on the academic community - by someone who 'did/does', versus 'preaches'

SD

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »

+10 or so  8)

These were great books!  ;) Their only crime is that they were disruptive, & revealed way too many secrets.
His prose is just a satire on the academic community - by someone who 'did/does', versus 'preaches'

SD
+1

Everyone is correct because everyone lives in Mediocristan.

Only Taleb lives in Extremistan. Don't get the sense that he's looking for approval.

Peregrino

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 05:48:01 AM »
Like some who have commented, I found it hard to get through the hardback version when it first came out a few years ago. 

I had a lot of momentum in the early chapters because the concept was new to me and I found it neat.  But then I put it down and never picked it back up.

Recently I listened to the audio version over the course of a few weeks during my commute and very much enjoyed it. 

I think it's a much better medium for the message.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »

Recently I listened to the audio version over the course of a few weeks during my commute and very much enjoyed it. 

I think it's a much better medium for the message.

I'm listening to the book as we speak and agree that the medium is much better than print for some books. I have lots of windshield time and this is perfect to make the ride productive