Author Topic: Chaos Monkeys  (Read 671 times)

Jurgis

• Porfolio

writser

Re: Chaos Monkeys
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
I thought it was a good read, can recommend it. Liar's poker meets Silicon Valley. Maybe a bit on the technical side for alpha people. The writer is witty but he's also a cynical asshole. The FT wrote a decent review: https://www.ft.com/content/47d1cd50-4aa5-11e6-b387-64ab0a67014c . I mailed a few quotes to a friend of mine after reading it:

In October 2010, a mother in Florida had shaken her baby to death, as the baby would interrupt her FarmVille games with crying. Products that cause mothers to murder their infants in order to use them more ... simply cannot fail in the world.

As I observed more than once at Facebook, and as I imagine is the case in all organizations from business to government, high-level decisions that affected thousands of people and billions in revenue would be made on gut feel, the residue of whatever historical politics were in play, and the ability to cater persuasive messages to people either busy, impatient, or uninterested (or all three).

If you like stuff like this: read the book. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it :) .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:05:23 PM by writser »
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

kdk77

Re: Chaos Monkeys
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »
It is an excellent book.  It is a must read especially if you want to know about the start-up culture in Silicon Valley and how advertising works.  I give high marks to the author as he is quite introspective and did not spare himself in his portrayal of what happened.