Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance - Angela Duckworth

Jurgis

Grit is self-help stuff with great marketing appeal but dubious to non-existent scientific value.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/05/25/479172868/angela-duckworth-responds-to-a-new-critique-of-grit

Grit is nearly identical to conscientiousness, which has been known to psychologists for decades as a major dimension of personality. It is not something that's necessarily open to change, especially in adults, whereas Duckworth in her writings suggests that grit is.

Grit is self-help stuff with great marketing appeal but dubious to non-existent scientific value.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/05/25/479172868/angela-duckworth-responds-to-a-new-critique-of-grit

Grit is nearly identical to conscientiousness, which has been known to psychologists for decades as a major dimension of personality. It is not something that's necessarily open to change, especially in adults, whereas Duckworth in her writings suggests that grit is.

I thought it was worth a 5 page essay.  Not worth spending your time to read past chapter 1

• 7 months later...

I am reading this book, but haven't formed an opinion yet because I am only on page 66. But there is a story about Buffett that I had not heard before and wondering if anyone else has, and if you know the original source?

Buffett is talking to his pilot about pursuing dreams. Buffett gives a three step process.

1. List 25 career goals.

2. Circle the 5 highest priority goals.

3. Ignore the other 20 at all costs.