Influence - Cialdini

yadayada

I didnt see this book in the book section. If you read the Munger speech on bias, he basicly based it on this book. He liked it that much that he actually gave Cialdini a share of berkshire after reading it. It breaks down all the ways we can be biased and how powerfull they can be. Sometimes he rambles on too much or repeats things, or gives examples that don't really add much, but overall a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Revised-Edition/dp/006124189X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404758647&sr=8-1&keywords=influence

You probably are familiar with a few of those already if you have been investing for a while. But there is also some new stuff that I didnt know about. I find the incongruency bias the most dangerous myself.

This is an excellent book.  I would especially recommend it to business owners and those in sales and marketing positions.  As you read the book, you'll think of all the different ways you've been influenced by the various factors the author lays out.  One of my favorite parts of the book is when I believe he is talking about scarcity.  He tells the story of how his brother sold used cars during college.  His method was very clever.  You'll have to read the book to get the whole story.  :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What’s interesting about this book is that Cialdini wrote it to educate the consumer and give them the tools to protect themselves against being manipulated.

Crickets.

Book didn’t sell, it went nowhere.

Years later, it was discovered by marketers, and suddenly his phone started ringing, he was getting hired to go talk to marketing firms, consultants, etc. and the book took off.

That says something about the world we live in.

(He talks about this in the forward to a subsequent printing).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest longinvestor

What’s interesting about this book is that Cialdini wrote it to educate the consumer and give them the tools to protect themselves against being manipulated.

Crickets.

Book didn’t sell, it went nowhere.

Years later, it was discovered by marketers, and suddenly his phone started ringing, he was getting hired to go talk to marketing firms, consultants, etc. and the book took off.

That says something about the world we live in.

(He talks about this in the forward to a subsequent printing).

This book is on my reading list.

Your comment on the world we live in is so true. Consumers are being pi$$ed on all the time! Should that music stop, there should be disruption we’ve never seen. But not to worry that ain’t happening. Or is it? Trump followed by Warren and we thought we’d seen it all!

• 3 years later...
On 3/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, bookie71 said:

Interesting! I really enjoyed his book. I got a signed copy at the Berkshire annual meeting. I constantly see the automatic behavior he describes in the book (click whirl if I remember right) in myself. It's helped me out.