Author Topic: Red Notice - Bill Browder  (Read 11716 times)

turar

• Lifetime Member
Re: Red Notice - Bill Browder
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 04:55:17 AM »
Has anyone seen this film: http://magnitskyact.com/

Cigarbutt

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 06:02:13 AM »
Has anyone seen this film: http://magnitskyact.com/
I have (see reply #18) and thought it was a relevant exercise as the story is fascinating and looking for discomforting evidence is a constructive analytical step.
In a balance of probability way, I came away from the movie being more convinced that Mr. Browder's case is authentic.
I was able to "catch" the movie on the internet but I hear that sites that make it available are rapidly shut down. :-X

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-18/arrest-of-baring-vostok-s-michael-calvey-is-a-message-from-russia

The arrest of Michael Calvey, a U.S. citizen and one of the biggest private equity investors in Russia, sends two messages to foreign investors: The rules of the Russian business jungle apply even to those who do things by the book and neither foreign citizenship nor a stellar investment record are grounds for an exemption. The Kremlin appears happy to underline both. ...

As for Western investment, the Kremlin knows it has already withered under heightened U.S. sanctions. Whatever happens to Calvey he is unlikely to make things worse. Foreign direct investment in Russia fell to $2.4 billion in the first nine months of 2018 from $25.8 billion in the same period in 2017.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

NewbieD

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 04:24:45 AM »
Browder is going hard at the banks. Now Swedbank has lost 20% of market cap, ~6 B$, in two days after investigative reporting shows that transactions related to the Magnitsky case flowed through the bank.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:18 AM »
Browder is going hard at the banks. Now Swedbank has lost 20% of market cap, ~6 B$, in two days after investigative reporting shows that transactions related to the Magnitsky case flowed through the bank.

The only language that these crooks and thugs understand is money.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 10:42:12 PM »

I should pay more attention when Liberty recommends a book because I picked it up yesterday and couldn't put it down. Fantastic.

Perhaps the Magnitsky Act is the path to a better world. For too long these people have had their cake while eating it too;  bashing and corrupting the free world while their kids benefit from its education system, safety, and assets.   Add tiered globalization to this and there might be a way to win against the rising super authoritarian/kleptocracy regimes.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »

I should pay more attention when Liberty recommends a book because I picked it up yesterday and couldn't put it down. Fantastic.

Perhaps the Magnitsky Act is the path to a better world. For too long these people have had their cake while eating it too;  bashing and corrupting the free world while their kids benefit from its education system, safety, and assets.   Add tiered globalization to this and there might be a way to win against the rising super authoritarian/kleptocracy regimes.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was indeed an unexpected page-turner.