The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google - Scott Galloway

Liberty

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Hidden-Amazon-Facebook-Google/dp/0735213658

Started reading this. I've enjoyed some of Galloway's podcast interviews and youtube videos. He's entertaining and at time he has some good high-level insights on the big tech companies and how the landscape is changing.

I'm a few dozen pages in and so far I do wish there was more depth to it. There's lots of soundbites and surface level platitudes about human psychology and how evolution shaped us, or a bunch of one paragraph histories of various retail formats. I think his style might translate better to short videos than books, but that's a very early impression. Maybe I'll do a 180 degree a few chapters in...

Farther in the Amazon chapter, and it gets both better and worse.

Some of the good stuff might be a bid redundant if you've read Brad Stone's book, though, and less in-depth.

Bad stuff is I've already found two things that I think might be factual errors:

Makes me wonder about the fact-checking on other things that I'm less familiar with...

Thank you very much for sharing your critical notes about this book with us all, Liberty,

It's actually much appreaciated.

- - - o 0 o - - -

For my part, it's never too late to learn. I may buy the book anyway, thereby combining your comments with the reading of the book.

All right, I've had enough. 100 pages in, I'm moving on to a different book. Too bad, it's an interesting topic, but I'm finding the book to have too many problems and to be generally weak.

You get most of the goodies that Galloway has to say if you listen to one of his podcast appearances.