Author Topic: Fairfax2019  (Read 4334 times)

TwoCitiesCapital

Re: Fairfax2019
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:28 PM »

Just a follow up....there is lots of opportunity out there Shalab I agree...Fairfax’s advantage is they went into this sell off period with $28 billion of bonds and cash....of  note is that interest rates dropped substantially creating appreciation in their large treasury portion of those holdings and allowing them the opportunity to buy into a frozen bond market. In the past this has been their strength.

There was a window that if Fairfax acted that they would have seized large near term and long term profits in the investment portfolio....which has been the drag on Fairfax. So when you say there are many opportunities now which there are....many have had to wait for their holdings to appreciate to buy other things because they had little dry powder to buy into the worst December in almost 90 years.

Fairfax got a fast ball right down the middle of the plate ....

Did they hit that fast ball? Only they know that right now...but I don’t have to pay for that probability right now because the stock is cheap enough that they will do fine if they did not hit that fast ball out of the park.

I'm not convinced they did. I would love it if Fairfax had locked in Treasury yields at 3.2% or rolled into credit in December, but neither seems REALLY compelling if you're waiting for a fat pitch.

3.2% was the highest rates in 7 years, BUT Fairfax believes we're in a period of unprecedented economic growth and rising rates...which makes 3.2% less compelling especially when compared to historical Treasuries. Did credit spreads widen in December? Yes. But they're still mostly tight by historical standards.

I think they'd have waited for higher rates and spreads before making a move given their outlook on valuations and rates.

Well, locking in at 3.2% might have been the thing to do in retrospect, but in the short term it probably doesn't make that much difference.  My guess is that half the $27B of cash/bonds were rolled during 2018 and if they were rolled into 2-year treasuries, what would be the weighted average rate?  Would it have been around 2.7% over the year?  So the "penalty" for not having perfectly managed the bond port might be ~50 bps on $27B? 

It would clearly have been better to have nailed it perfectly, but I don't mind the small-ish penalty that they've taken on the theory that rates are headed north over the next five-ish years.

SJ

Absolutely agree! That was basically my point - in hindsight, locking in at 3.2% or rolling to credit would have been the right things to do, but wouldn't have made sense if Fairfax is truly waiting for a fat pitch which is what we all believe they're doing. So there was likely 0 benefit to Fairfax from the December tumult or the spike and subsequent fall in rates. If anything, the fall in rates is going to hurt them as they roll the 2-year Treasuries. Was simply rebutting that Fairfax put money to work in December.