Author Topic: "The Advantage Of Being A Little Underemployed"  (Read 2882 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: "The Advantage Of Being A Little Underemployed"
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
Liberty - Keep up the great work posting wonderful articles.  I really appreciate it and I am sure others do also.

Thanks for some great quotes guys.

I have index cards I call Daily Mental Tuning and Mental Tools.
It is a list of quotes and ideas and mental tools to help me in life. 

I use similarly to how a violinist tunes his instruments frequently only it for the mind.

Thanks.

That's a good idea, actually. Sometimes it only takes remembering an idea to trigger the whole "mental complex" associated with it and reinforce it. I use a few reminders on my phone to once in a while remind me of a few concepts. I'd be afraid that I'd forget to look at the index cards after a while.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast (new link)

rukawa

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
I probably walk for around 1.5-2 hours each day when I'm at work. During that time I'm thinking and reflecting. Even if I wanted to not do this I couldn't. After about 45 to 1hr of work I get restless and need to step away and walk. There is a nervous energy that builds inside of me. This happens really strongly when I'm in a social situation with a large number of people.

Basically everything described in the article I have been doing for most of my life because its basically genetically pre-programmed into me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:20:11 AM by rukawa »

rb

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
I think the article while it doesn't delve too deep is pretty spot on.

Btw, I don't know anyone that works 40 hour weeks. And yes, they're generally pretty exhausted.

I think the most famous case of under employment was Albert Einstein. He had time at his job at the patent office to gaze out the window and perform his "thought experiments". He came up with the idea for special relativity while he was riding the bus. Now imagine if some managing director of something or other came to Einstein and said "you have to come up with special relativity by Tuesday at 8 PM and it better not have any spelling mistakes in it!". If that was the case I imagine we'd live in a vastly different world and not for the better.

In my view most people work for money. And in our current system the incentives are all screwed up. They're not designed to maximize productivity. So you get what you incentivize. Do I know a way to fix it? No.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
"It's been my experience in life [that] if you just keep thinking and reading, you don't have to work." :)

Caveat: must like thinking and reading.

Caveat: productive thinking and reading can be exhausting even if you like them. So maybe not work by definition, but nonetheless work in terms of how long and how much you can do.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo