Author Topic: 'Why Your Mentors Seem Less Impressive Over Time'  (Read 1966 times)

villainx

Re: 'Why Your Mentors Seem Less Impressive Over Time'
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »
I have a continuous big problem with "outsider" and cable cowboy where John Malone seemed to make moves to enrich himself and his insider buddies.  But there's no denying that as a from a distance mentor, Malone remains somewhat aspirational.

I think the mentor part that is slightly confusing, based on what I follow from Liberty from this board, is that he continues to respect and invest in/with the mentor type investor/CEOs, so ... as I mentioned, without specific examples, I'm kind of confused where the "less impressive" part comes in.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »
I think the mentor part that is slightly confusing, based on what I follow from Liberty from this board, is that he continues to respect and invest in/with the mentor type investor/CEOs, so ... as I mentioned, without specific examples, I'm kind of confused where the "less impressive" part comes in.

I see where Liberty is coming from. Like he said, when you haven't heard about value investing/moat/whatever, reading Buffett/Graham/etc. is like a "wow" experience. When you have heard this for 20 years, it's like "meh, moat, yeah, meh, margin of safety, yeah, meh, capital allocation, yeah, tell me something new".  ;)

I get it that people find some new nuggets in Buffett writing from time to time, but overall, yeah, another BRK letter/Q&A, meh.  ::)  ;)

Edit: There's also the fact that moats erode (or is that walls that erode and moats ?? - fill up?  ::) ) and the concept is not as great and easy to exploit as it was in the day. But that might be separate and more serious thread.  8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:57:45 AM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money"

rukawa

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
I'm still impressed by Faraday. He came up with revolutionary ideas when his mind was failing him and after he had already once fallen into a deep depression due to this. In fact the whole story...Faraday, Maxwell and then the Maxwellians is one of the most impressive things I've ever read. All these men displayed humility, courage, far-sighted vision and seemed to be able to endure when they were pretty much alone in their ideas. The also seemed to care very little for fame, credit or fortune.