Author Topic: Amazon's new HQ poll  (Read 2906 times)

BG2008

Re: Amazon's new HQ poll
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
I'm a little bit surprised that there are no Texas, Nevada, or Florida cities on the list as these states have no state tax.  They are also located in sunny locations with abundance of land parcels.  Being a real estate guy, I've heard the narrative in recent years that Texas and Nevada are attracting lots of companies as the regulations tend to favor businesses and land use are more flexible.  Getting a building permit in NYC requires some serious undertaking.  I think Dallas and Las Vegas should be considered as top candidates as well.  Those certainly have international airports.  Vegas is interesting as the weather is nice (though dry hot) year around.  It also helps that there is a ton of entertainment, dinning, etc that is not available in large corporate campuses elsewhere.  From a millennial perspective, it is likely attractive as well. 

As a HHC shareholder, I'm hoping that they somehow decide to locate HQ2 in either the Woodlands, TX, or Summerlin Las Vegas.  I would say that Summerlin, Las Vegas would have a higher chance of those two.  One can hope.   

shalab

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »
Added Nevada and Austin.

Chatted with a friend from AMZN - apparently the employees also get to vote on the location. There isn't a whole lot of enthusiasm for Toronto (weather + taxes + not US) but Boston, Austin or Denver metro area are all in play. Apparently Denver is preferable to many as it has many outdoor activities like Seattle.

Cost per city:
https://www.recode.net/2017/9/9/16278136/amazon-jeff-bezos-top-cities-top-new-second-headquarters

I'm a little bit surprised that there are no Texas, Nevada, or Florida cities on the list as these states have no state tax.  They are also located in sunny locations with abundance of land parcels.  Being a real estate guy, I've heard the narrative in recent years that Texas and Nevada are attracting lots of companies as the regulations tend to favor businesses and land use are more flexible.  Getting a building permit in NYC requires some serious undertaking.  I think Dallas and Las Vegas should be considered as top candidates as well.  Those certainly have international airports.  Vegas is interesting as the weather is nice (though dry hot) year around.  It also helps that there is a ton of entertainment, dinning, etc that is not available in large corporate campuses elsewhere.  From a millennial perspective, it is likely attractive as well. 

As a HHC shareholder, I'm hoping that they somehow decide to locate HQ2 in either the Woodlands, TX, or Summerlin Las Vegas.  I would say that Summerlin, Las Vegas would have a higher chance of those two.  One can hope.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:40:51 AM by shalab »

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
The weather in Boston is similar to Toronto.

Edited for accuracy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:00:07 AM by augustabound »
"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

Lance

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
Austin, Texas seems like the place to be assuming that the state/city works together to incentivize Bezos. 

Thanks
Lance

alpha

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »

I don't think any Canadian cities would be considered. There is way to much regulatory overhead to operate it in another country. Plus the uncertainty around NAFTA make it a non-starter.

My top guesses would be: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Austin, Boston.

New York State could offer them a crazy tax package/payout to lure them in, like they did with Solar City.

bizaro86

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

I don't think any Canadian cities would be considered. There is way to much regulatory overhead to operate it in another country. Plus the uncertainty around NAFTA make it a non-starter.

My top guesses would be: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Austin, Boston.

New York State could offer them a crazy tax package/payout to lure them in, like they did with Solar City.

My prediction is that one Canadian city makes the final round as a political leverage play to get Amazon more H1B visas and other things it wants.

There would be appetite in Calgary (lots of unemployed engineers and empty office space here) to drop a dump truck of money on them, but we're probably too small, and in Canada.

vegaseller

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Honestly I think it will be down to Austin and Northern Virginia

Austin: HQ to wholefoods, Blue Origin
DC/NoVA: AWS HQ, Washington Post and Bezos bought a mansion next to Obama and Ivanka.

philly and raleigh are possible but don't have the airports. denver and west coast is redundant at this point.

Gamecock-YT

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »
Honestly I think it will be down to Austin and Northern Virginia

Austin: HQ to wholefoods, Blue Origin
DC/NoVA: AWS HQ, Washington Post and Bezos bought a mansion next to Obama and Ivanka.

philly and raleigh are possible but don't have the airports. denver and west coast is redundant at this point.

Philly and Raleigh don't have the airports but Austin does?  :o

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
I'd love to see this in the Boston area (either in MA or southern NH).  The only down side is the weather.  It has access to airports (Logan & Manchester), near some of the best colleges in the world (MIT, WPI, Harvard, Tufts, Northeastern, BU, BC, Dartmouth, Brandeis, UMASS, SNHU, ... too many to list), a good large base population of tech workers to pull from.  If they locate in Southern NH their employees get no income tax, sales tax, or capital gains taxes.  Access to beaches, mountains, lakes, ocean, and lots of stuff to do.  And gives them an East Coast presence.  The downside, like I said, is the whether to some people. I happen to love the New England winters and couldn't imagine living somewhere without snow, but I know that others don't feel that way.

Wabash02

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
I am surprised not to see any mention of Indianapolis.  Very business friendly climate, educated workforce, and crossroads of America!