Best Way to keep track of our Favorite Cos

decko

Hello Everyone,  Im been a follower for many years and ill be attempting to add more comments going further.

I was curious to know what everyone uses to watch their favorite companies.  I think most of us have at least 100 companies that we would love to own one day but price keeps us on the sidelines.  Thus, being patience and waiting for the right price can be very lucrative.  However, its hard to keep up with so many companies and being on top of the 52 week low.  So, my question is what does everyone use for a  watchlist and being alerted to low prices?  I prefer the cheap websites.  I have some experience with yahoo but dont like it very much.   

Thanks

Guest cherzeca

I ignore "watchlist" companies if I dont have a small tracking position in them.  stupid, I know, but the best way for me to pay attention is to have (a little) skin in the game

I use Fidelity as my brokerage and I use their watchlist feature.  It lets you add companies to the watchlist and set alerts, it's ok and it works for my purposes.  I used to use Yahoo, I'd create a portfolio which mirrored mine and a watchlist portfolio for tracking stocks that I was interested in. But they kept changing their financial section for the worse, and when they got rid of their portfolio feature I stopped using yahoo altogether.

Yes, ive also noticed MSN  money, google, and yahoo have completely destroyed their finance pages!!  I dont think we can rely on those anymore for solid 'alerts' so i guess it makes sense to use a brokerage or a paid website like valueline.  But, I guess it depends on how or if they alert you to price triggers..

I haven't tried webull. I will.

I think out of the free websites Yahoo is the best today which is ironic. I've noticed investing.com actually has good data. But it's very trading oriented which is annoying to me. I don't know if anyone here uses it.

I have a watchlist setup in IB. But I'd prefer to use a free website for it because I don't like being logged in all the time.

my watchlist monitoring workflow-

For prices Google Sheets, it's not 100% reliable but you can pull in prices (some realtime and others delayed using googlefinance functions), it's easy to look at where a stock is trading relative to 52w high and lows, a bit harder to pull in historic info (have to use index for google data or importhtml functions to scrape from elsewhere). 

For corporate news/events I'll subscribe to SEC filings using an RSS feed (Feedly app is great), Fidelity watchlist and Google Alerts for media coverage, and also sign up with the company's investor relations if available.

I have a watchlist of about 40 stocks on yahoo finance. Used to use google finance but they decided to kill that.

I also use feedly for SEC filings and various blogs which I used to follow. I rarely check this anymore (blogs are boring and the odd lot filings have fallen off). I probably should keep more invested in the spinoff filings.

I use finvix for basic screening. As with anything you want this to be relatively general. Check this maybe once or twice per quarter.

I get summary financials from rocketfinancial.com and then of course the investor IR website for presentations, primary source for filings, etc.

• 6 months later...

There might be a huge opportunity here to fill this gap. I've tried every recommendation here, yet nothing really satisfies me.

Ideally what I want is to create a watchlist/portfolio of my stocks in several different markets (US/Europe/Japan/Hongkong). AND (this is where it get's difficult it seems) I want to be updated of any news (annual reports, dividends) about the companies in my portfolio/watchlist.

Yahoo works great for just the watchlist function, but there's no way to get alerts of news updates (is there)?

Seekingalpha works smooth too, adds some news and of course written blogs about the company. But it looks like they're also missing a lot of news.

Am I asking for too much here? If so, how do you guys keep track of stuff like annual reports and dividends for the companies you are interested in?

There might be a huge opportunity here to fill this gap. I've tried every recommendation here, yet nothing really satisfies me.

Ideally what I want is to create a watchlist/portfolio of my stocks in several different markets (US/Europe/Japan/Hongkong). AND (this is where it get's difficult it seems) I want to be updated of any news (annual reports, dividends) about the companies in my portfolio/watchlist.

Yahoo works great for just the watchlist function, but there's no way to get alerts of news updates (is there)?

Seekingalpha works smooth too, adds some news and of course written blogs about the company. But it looks like they're also missing a lot of news.

Am I asking for too much here? If so, how do you guys keep track of stuff like annual reports and dividends for the companies you are interested in?

I generally use Google Sheets for watchlists. 

I think there is an opportunity also (perhaps really big) in doing a great finance site.  I agree, most of the sites IMO have gotten worse Yahoo, Morningstar and Google.  The free competition is weak in a lot of ways for a fundamental investor. 

Hypothetically, what would you be willing to pay as a monthly fee for something like this?  And how much do you think other people would be willing to pay?

I have a paid account at Bamsec. It is basically what EDGAR should have been. A watchlist, conference call transcripts, a good search function, comparing filings, insider transactions, highlighting and saving snippets and best of all, all very easy to use and navigate. I think it is like $30 per month?

If somebody makes a similar site but:

1. For all (or at least most) developed markets: Europe, Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada, Australia.

2. With not only filings and insider transactions but also, like Yahoo Finance, news from all major newswires, and some options to filter news (i.e. remove all retarded Zacks, Motley Fool, etc. robo-articles).

3. With historical financials like Morningstar.

I'd be willing to pay $100+ / month easily. I agree that right now it is a mess to keep track of everything. I'm using a mix of SeekingAlpha, Yahoo Finance, the Interactive Brokers newsfeed, Bamsec, hkexnews, sgx.com, ceo.ca, hotcopper.au, Morningstar, Kajinet, Rocketfinancial.com, twitter, pacer and otcmarkets.com ..

I feel like I cannot justify a Bloomberg account for my amateur home office though it has basically everything I want. I have no experience with CapitalIQ, FactSet or Eikon. My guess is they are like Bloomberg but shittier. It tilts me that for all 'professional' options the pricing and offering is super opaque, but I guess that is because they are not really tailored to retail clients.

You can either have a free Yahoo finance account or a ~$20k professional terminal. I feel like there is nothing in between. I guess the universe of investors willing to pay $2000+ per year but not $20k+ isn't large enough?

Bamsec is good, rocketfinancial as well is another good one.

There was a gentleman on here who I was alpha testing a financial website for, one of the tools he implemented (or tried to, I am not sure what became of it) was a way to individually whitelist/blacklist news sources.

Let's say I follow FB - I don't want to see AI generated "news" articles from clickbait websites. But something like crunchbase or other tech-focused websites with quality content, or similar financial websites (WSJ, etc.) - those I would be interested in.

Give me the old google finance interface, with the above whitelist news service, and BAMsec/rocketfinancial's management for company filings, and you have the greatest financial website ever created.  ;D

And what about using something like sken.io or trackly.io? I don't have any experience with these, but they send you an e-mail when a certain webpage has been edited.

Btw, I would also easily pay $100+, it's probably worth that in pure value easily. But even if it wasn't, it would still be worth it just to make my life easier.