Author Topic: CoBF members 2018 returns  (Read 15375 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: CoBF members 2018 returns
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
+7.53% without dividends (haven't bothered to look at those yet).

Feels worse than the end-point because was up around 33% a few months ago, but that's how the market works... It goes up and down \_(ツ)_/
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

clutch

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
Interestingly, this year the return statistics for CoBF pretty much resembles the S&P index return, a normal distribution with the mean around -5%. I don't recall such a close resemblance in earlier years. Usually, the reported CoBF members outperformed, if I remember correctly.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 12:50:53 PM »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

John Hjorth

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
Good one, Jurgis! [ : - ) ]
In the race of excellence there is no finish line.
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
Interestingly, this year the return statistics for CoBF pretty much resembles the S&P index return, a normal distribution with the mean around -5%. I don't recall such a close resemblance in earlier years. Usually, the reported CoBF members outperformed, if I remember correctly.

Maybe people are just more honest now and sample bias has been reduced?
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

gary17

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
I believe I did about 10% - 15%
will hve to look at the math when I have time as I moved money out to pay for a few private investment ideas, moved money into wifes rrsp and kids resp,  and then had some other funds come in so its quite confusing even to myself lol

the big winner is Xpel and Soda stream earlier in the year.  SODA is complete luck- I had been thinking about it after learning about it , and just started to build a position when they announced the buyout .   I still lost quite a bit of money from the peak because of my leveraged position in BAC.

As I noted to my family... its nice to have first world problems to worry about (% return).  happy new year everyone.

WneverLOSE

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
-7.3% Time Weighted Return (USD), I bought a lot of things just before the indices started to go down by 20%. I am going to add around 10% of cash I was holding to a new position, hopefully my holdings bought back a lot of stock and helped me dollar cost average along the way down (about -30% down from inter-year highs).

I am actually happy with the year, it is the first down year for me (started investing only a few years ago) and I was impressed by my psychology, I still like the companies I hold, I know I will make money in the long term and I am not frozen in panic like lots of people I know when facing stocks that are getting more and more attractive by the day. unlike many other players in the market I actually hope it will keep going down, I am a net buyer with 60+ years (hopefully  ;D) to go, low prices are a blessing for someone like me.

Spekulatius

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
Looks like I am down 5-6% overall. It did feel much worse than that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:48:44 AM by Spekulatius »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

perulv

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:18 AM »
I ended the year down 30% in 2018. Perhaps a concentrated portfolio can take some of the blame (I was up 49% in 2017), but I also made som really stupid mistakes the first half of 2018. In an effort to hedge against currency-changes (my local currency vs Dollar), I bought an highly leveraged ETF, which was not even USD <--> NOK (my local currency), but USD <--> SEK. Half way trough 2018 USD <--> NOK was the same as the start of the year, but I'd lost around 5% of my portfolios value on this. This was a mistake I could have avoided, had I thought it trough, and actually did some math.

Most of the loss however, is simply stock prices going down. When I evaluate the companies that I own, I still see quality companies at cheap(er) prices. I will hold these positions, and hopefully add to them at some point.

Perhaps the only "right" thing I did in 2018, was to be skeptical of the high valuations of the market. I did to some extent act on it, by converting a small part of my pension savings (similar to a 401k I guess?) to interest-rate funds/instruments, and stop buying stocks in september (So the actual loss is a bit better than the -30% suggests) .  I guess my new year's resolution should be to not get paralyzed, not try to "time the bottom", but take my time to think before acting (reminds me of this great list).

james22

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 05:51:32 AM »
~3%

Held lots of Stable Value and preferreds (BAC/WFC-L) until recently when bought into fallen SV and EM and added to BRK and BAM.

Like rolling, I feel richer now for having made the swap, but still waiting for a real opportunity.
BRK, BAM l SV, EM l Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac l Stable Value, Cash Value