Author Topic: Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart  (Read 2202 times)

nkp007

Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
I'm all for freedom of speech but it seems like this investing discussion website is being overrun by hostile political conversation and recently it has leaked over into the General Discussion section.

I just mute the political forum so it's invisible to me, but I am concerned that potential/new members see the recent posts section (see attached image) when they first visit the site and either shy way because of the hostile political discourse or get attracted because of the hostile political discourse. Either way, there's definitely some self-selection that is going on that over time will significantly reduce the investment quality of the board.

I'm all for political freedom of speech. So go do it on one of the other million political websites on the internet so it doesn't affect our investment returns you loud-mouthed leeches.

longlake95

Re: Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
Agreed. There is a lot of value to this community if value oriented investors. Let’s stick to finding the next great investment  :)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
"So go do it on one of the other million political websites on the internet so it doesn't affect our investment returns you loud-mouthed leeches. "

Hmmm... sounds like you are the leech here or the one feeling entitled to receive something to help your investment returns from other visitors. Obviously for free I might add and not necessarily giving anything back in return.

Cardboard

mhdousa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »
FWIW, my life has greatly improved since I learned that you can mute the Politics board so it doesn't show up on your recent posts list. Doesn't help the issue with new visitors getting scared away but we've been told many times that moderation of political posts on this site is not on the table.

wisowis

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
Where's the mute button? I must be blind.

nkp007

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
PROFILE ----> ACCOUNT SETTINGS ----> IGNORE BOARD OPTIONS

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.

The recent Obama's thread (appropriately moved to the politics section) was initially posted in the Generals section (if memory serves) otherwise I'd never have seen it & subsequently made my post regarding Michelle Obama's appearance on 20/20.

A well respected COBF member suggests the following to help deal with stress.

More valium.

I've taken another tack, and that is to limit myself to a modest update on the news for the first 7 days of each month.

Ditto for Twitter & I found myself not even wanting to visit there this month because it's so full of inflammatory nonsense.

Spending nearly a month with your head in the sand is liberating.

I highly recommend watching re-runs of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In to see how nothing has changed since the 70's.
The absurdities are pretty funny when framed by great social satirists.
Healthcare 40.8% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 14.7% // Media & Communication 12.7% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.8% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.4% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 11/23/2018 minus $$$ 4 skool

ready 2 wait

https://twitter.com/tunawish

John Hjorth

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »
... I just mute the political forum so it's invisible to me, but I am concerned that potential/new members see the recent posts section (see attached image) when they first visit the site and either shy way because of the hostile political discourse or get attracted because of the hostile political discourse. Either way, there's definitely some self-selection that is going on that over time will significantly reduce the investment quality of the board ...

Honestly what's the "problem" here? -Every CoBF member is supposed "to use" the board as that particular person seems fit [among other things], to get a return.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Gregmal

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.

The recent Obama's thread (appropriately moved to the politics section) was initially posted in the Generals section (if memory serves) otherwise I'd never have seen it & subsequently made my post regarding Michelle Obama's appearance on 20/20.

More valium.

I've taken another tack, and that is to limit myself to a modest update on the news for the first 7 days of each month.

Ditto for Twitter & I found myself not even wanting to visit there this month because it's so full of inflammatory nonsense.

I highly recommend watching re-runs of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In to see how nothing has changed since the 70's.

The Obamas thread was about divorce... and only highlighted the Obamas as a great example of a couple who makes it work. Nothing political about it.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »

More valium.

The Obamas thread was about divorce... and only highlighted the Obamas as a great example of a couple who makes it work. Nothing political about it.

I'm not criticizing it as such, however, my post in it regarding Michelle Obama could have turned it into a political thread.
Either way, it got moved to the politics section.
Healthcare 40.8% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 14.7% // Media & Communication 12.7% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.8% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.4% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 11/23/2018 minus $$$ 4 skool

ready 2 wait

https://twitter.com/tunawish