Author Topic: Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart  (Read 2141 times)

Parsad

• Administrator
Re: Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.

The recent Obama's thread (appropriately moved to the politics section) was initially posted in the Generals section (if memory serves) otherwise I'd never have seen it & subsequently made my post regarding Michelle Obama's appearance on 20/20.

A well respected COBF member suggests the following to help deal with stress.

More valium.

I've taken another tack, and that is to limit myself to a modest update on the news for the first 7 days of each month.

Ditto for Twitter & I found myself not even wanting to visit there this month because it's so full of inflammatory nonsense.

Spending nearly a month with your head in the sand is liberating.

I highly recommend watching re-runs of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In to see how nothing has changed since the 70's.
The absurdities are pretty funny when framed by great social satirists.

The Obamas thread was about divorce... and only highlighted the Obamas as a great example of a couple who makes it work. Nothing political about it.

It was also moved over to the Politics board early this morning.  I will try and make sure no political threads end up on any section other than the Politics board...that is the purpose of the Politics board...to keep that stuff off of the other boards.  Otherwise it will end up there!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

rb

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »
I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.
Hey man, don't bet on humorous banter. You teased Florida, I challenged, you accepted. The only reason I didn't already ask for your address is that I'm from Toronto (the warm part of Canada where winter didn't fully set in yet) and in a couple of days I'm going to Scottsdale where I'm gonna defrost for a bit. Give it a few more weeks after that and you may find me in your driveway asking to borrow your Tahoe to go get some beer.

Morgan

• http://bottomupanalysis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
I agree. Keep the politics on the politics board. I donít have anything muted and read a fair amount on this site everyday, but the culture seems to be changing as more hostility from political discussions spreads to other areas - mostly the result is people posting less in general. This site is very important to me and I really donít want it to decline because of politics.

(This is isnít a slight against moderators. Sometimes it just leaks out and is hard to control.)

rolling

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:48 AM »
PROFILE ----> ACCOUNT SETTINGS ----> IGNORE BOARD OPTIONS
Thank you! It was getting really annoying.
My usual portfolio: Highly concentrated (up to 3 or 4 positions) in smallcaps and microcaps.

kab60

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »
Thank you! It was getting really annoying.
Ditto.

That being said, the politics discussions might not be completely useless depending on how one invests. I think it says a thing about ones character and ones ability to have a flexible mind and change ones opinion when the facts change. Some of the politic posts leaves me with the impression that it's lacking among quiet a few participants on here, and it means I probably hold their opinions on investments in less regard if it seems they're only accepting information that fits their narrative. I'm sure someone can point out how I'm the victim of a lot of different biases myself by judging people that way (and possibly affected by my own political views), so bring it. :D Thinking Long and Slow bored me to death, so I didn't learn about all the biases just yet.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »

Hey man, don't bet on humorous banter. You teased Florida, I challenged, you accepted. The only reason I didn't already ask for your address is that I'm from Toronto (the warm part of Canada where winter didn't fully set in yet) and in a couple of days I'm going to Scottsdale where I'm gonna defrost for a bit. Give it a few more weeks after that and you may find me in your driveway asking to borrow your Tahoe to go get some beer.

It's a Colorado & I like Meister Brau.
Healthcare 40.8% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 14.7% // Media & Communication 12.7% - CHTR CMCSA DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.8% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.4% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 11/23/2018 minus $$$ 4 skool

ready 2 wait

https://twitter.com/tunawish

alpha

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 05:12:58 AM »

Thanks! my "Recent Posts" list was filled with that junk

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 05:20:48 AM »
I apologize - I recently replied to a few political threads after never posting in them for years.  My posts had nothing to do with investing or the economy.  I don't like to mute topics or posters because that's how I know about who I am reading stuff from.  An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

I wish good investing ideas to you all

Cigarbutt

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »
I apologize - I recently replied to a few political threads after never posting in them for years.  My posts had nothing to do with investing or the economy.  I don't like to mute topics or posters because that's how I know about who I am reading stuff from.  An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

I wish good investing ideas to you all
This topic brings mixed feelings.
The growing proportion of political posts is problematic.
At times, I found it useful to wait 24 hours before contributing and realized that the post would have been superfluous or even stupid.
The questions I ask myself: Is it necessary and is it relevant?
Hoping for a good outcome.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 06:31:15 AM »
An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

No doubt about that. 

When I read posters espousing these ideological points of view, I strongly question whether the posters have ever been exposed to any of the thoughts of Warren E. Buffett or Charles T. Munger.

I totally ignore all of that tripe.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:34:16 AM by CorpRaider »