Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax and Breitbart

nkp007

I'm all for freedom of speech but it seems like this investing discussion website is being overrun by hostile political conversation and recently it has leaked over into the General Discussion section.

I just mute the political forum so it's invisible to me, but I am concerned that potential/new members see the recent posts section (see attached image) when they first visit the site and either shy way because of the hostile political discourse or get attracted because of the hostile political discourse. Either way, there's definitely some self-selection that is going on that over time will significantly reduce the investment quality of the board.

I'm all for political freedom of speech. So go do it on one of the other million political websites on the internet so it doesn't affect our investment returns you loud-mouthed leeches.

CBF.thumb.jpg.24ca3e05f695304b7bde245b424117b2.jpg

"So go do it on one of the other million political websites on the internet so it doesn't affect our investment returns you loud-mouthed leeches. "

Hmmm... sounds like you are the leech here or the one feeling entitled to receive something to help your investment returns from other visitors. Obviously for free I might add and not necessarily giving anything back in return.

Cardboard

FWIW, my life has greatly improved since I learned that you can mute the Politics board so it doesn't show up on your recent posts list. Doesn't help the issue with new visitors getting scared away but we've been told many times that moderation of political posts on this site is not on the table.

I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.

The recent Obama's thread (appropriately moved to the politics section) was initially posted in the Generals section (if memory serves) otherwise I'd never have seen it & subsequently made my post regarding Michelle Obama's appearance on 20/20.

A well respected COBF member suggests the following to help deal with stress.

More valium.

I've taken another tack, and that is to limit myself to a modest update on the news for the first 7 days of each month.

Ditto for Twitter & I found myself not even wanting to visit there this month because it's so full of inflammatory nonsense.

Spending nearly a month with your head in the sand is liberating.

I highly recommend watching re-runs of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In to see how nothing has changed since the 70's.

The absurdities are pretty funny when framed by great social satirists.

... I just mute the political forum so it's invisible to me, but I am concerned that potential/new members see the recent posts section (see attached image) when they first visit the site and either shy way because of the hostile political discourse or get attracted because of the hostile political discourse. Either way, there's definitely some self-selection that is going on that over time will significantly reduce the investment quality of the board ...

Honestly what's the "problem" here? -Every CoBF member is supposed "to use" the board as that particular person seems fit [among other things], to get a return.

I've never posted in the politics section & was glad to see it broken off into its own little corner.

I posted a thread in the General section re: ACA because I thought it would benefit those who are interested in healthcare, and as it turns out, the discussion was civil & even included some good natured & humorous banter.

The recent Obama's thread (appropriately moved to the politics section) was initially posted in the Generals section (if memory serves) otherwise I'd never have seen it & subsequently made my post regarding Michelle Obama's appearance on 20/20.

More valium.

I've taken another tack, and that is to limit myself to a modest update on the news for the first 7 days of each month.

Ditto for Twitter & I found myself not even wanting to visit there this month because it's so full of inflammatory nonsense.

I highly recommend watching re-runs of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In to see how nothing has changed since the 70's.

The Obamas thread was about divorce... and only highlighted the Obamas as a great example of a couple who makes it work. Nothing political about it.

More valium.

The Obamas thread was about divorce... and only highlighted the Obamas as a great example of a couple who makes it work. Nothing political about it.

I'm not criticizing it as such, however, my post in it regarding Michelle Obama could have turned it into a political thread.

Either way, it got moved to the politics section.

More valium.

It was also moved over to the Politics board early this morning.  I will try and make sure no political threads end up on any section other than the Politics board...that is the purpose of the Politics board...to keep that stuff off of the other boards.  Otherwise it will end up there!  Cheers!

Hey man, don't bet on humorous banter. You teased Florida, I challenged, you accepted. The only reason I didn't already ask for your address is that I'm from Toronto (the warm part of Canada where winter didn't fully set in yet) and in a couple of days I'm going to Scottsdale where I'm gonna defrost for a bit. Give it a few more weeks after that and you may find me in your driveway asking to borrow your Tahoe to go get some beer.

I agree. Keep the politics on the politics board. I don’t have anything muted and read a fair amount on this site everyday, but the culture seems to be changing as more hostility from political discussions spreads to other areas - mostly the result is people posting less in general. This site is very important to me and I really don’t want it to decline because of politics.

(This is isn’t a slight against moderators. Sometimes it just leaks out and is hard to control.)

PROFILE ----> ACCOUNT SETTINGS ----> IGNORE BOARD OPTIONS

Thank you! It was getting really annoying.

Ditto.

That being said, the politics discussions might not be completely useless depending on how one invests. I think it says a thing about ones character and ones ability to have a flexible mind and change ones opinion when the facts change. Some of the politic posts leaves me with the impression that it's lacking among quiet a few participants on here, and it means I probably hold their opinions on investments in less regard if it seems they're only accepting information that fits their narrative. I'm sure someone can point out how I'm the victim of a lot of different biases myself by judging people that way (and possibly affected by my own political views), so bring it. :D Thinking Long and Slow bored me to death, so I didn't learn about all the biases just yet.

Hey man, don't bet on humorous banter. You teased Florida, I challenged, you accepted. The only reason I didn't already ask for your address is that I'm from Toronto (the warm part of Canada where winter didn't fully set in yet) and in a couple of days I'm going to Scottsdale where I'm gonna defrost for a bit. Give it a few more weeks after that and you may find me in your driveway asking to borrow your Tahoe to go get some beer.

It's a Colorado & I like Meister Brau.

I apologize - I recently replied to a few political threads after never posting in them for years.  My posts had nothing to do with investing or the economy.  I don't like to mute topics or posters because that's how I know about who I am reading stuff from.  An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

I wish good investing ideas to you all

I apologize - I recently replied to a few political threads after never posting in them for years.  My posts had nothing to do with investing or the economy.  I don't like to mute topics or posters because that's how I know about who I am reading stuff from.  An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

I wish good investing ideas to you all

This topic brings mixed feelings.

The growing proportion of political posts is problematic.

At times, I found it useful to wait 24 hours before contributing and realized that the post would have been superfluous or even stupid.

The questions I ask myself: Is it necessary and is it relevant?

Hoping for a good outcome.

An investment idea from a person with strong bias and blind spots can be evaluated in that context.  (I do pilfer ideas form this forum occasionally)

No doubt about that. 

When I read posters espousing these ideological points of view, I strongly question whether the posters have ever been exposed to any of the thoughts of Warren E. Buffett or Charles T. Munger.

I totally ignore all of that tripe.

LOL!

So do you ignore also Buffett when he lies saying that he pays less taxes than his secretary? Ignoring payroll tax.

Or when he calls for a world with more income equality while he does all he can to avoid taxation and all he can to squeeze as much as possible from his workers a la 3G?

Or when he said in 2004 that our trade deficit was unsustainable and proposed a like tarrif?

Cardboard

Yes of course we ignore Warren Buffett

LOL!

So do you ignore also Buffett when he lies saying that he pays less taxes than his secretary? Ignoring payroll tax.

Or when he calls for a world with more income equality while he does all he can to avoid taxation and all he can to squeeze as much as possible from his workers a la 3G?

Or when he said in 2004 that our trade deficit was unsustainable and proposed a like tarrif?

Cardboard