Author Topic: Finding jobs difficult in Canada?  (Read 1711 times)

shalab

• Lifetime Member
Finding jobs difficult in Canada?
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
According to this article, it is if you are a non-european immigrant:

Thousands of Pakistani trained engineers, doctors, and PhDs are driving taxis or are working as security guards in large cities.
https://www.dawn.com/news/718842
https://www.dawn.com/news/1298978
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:14:41 PM by shalab »

randomep

• Bull Bear and Value Blog
Re: Finding jobs difficult in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
According to this article, it is if you are a non-european immigrant:

Thousands of Pakistani trained engineers, doctors, and PhDs are driving taxis or are working as security guards in large cities.
https://www.dawn.com/news/718842
https://www.dawn.com/news/1298978

Well I left almost 20yrs ago for that reason (well kinda for that reason)

rb

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »
Is this a new episode of the weekly "I have a tickle about Canada and I want to scratch it!" series for threads by Shalab?

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 04:01:24 AM »
Is this a new episode of the weekly "I have a tickle about Canada and I want to scratch it!" series for threads by Shalab?
Apparently so.  ::)  I've got to go back to ignoring his troll posts........

"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

shalab

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:43:41 AM »
So whenever the evidence turns against your popularly held belief, you ignore it? I am seeing quite a few posts in this board and in quora as well that says Canada is a much better version of the U.S. However, when one checks the data - it is not the case. I am double checking the assumptions in this board which has a lot of Canadians.

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »
If the Pakastanis can't figure out why they are driving a taxi instead of working in a professional field, then they deserve to drive a taxi.  Hint: it's got nothing to do with racism or xenophobia.

Learn the culture and figure it out.  Christ, Prem and Francis started at zero.

SJ

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
The US and Canada are very different countries (neither are perfect). Fit is important. Pick wisely. Eyes wide open. Lots of immigrants coming to Canada are happy with their decision (but not everyone of course).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:37:48 AM by Viking »

DTEJD1997

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Hey all:

I can very much confirm that at least for YOUNG people in the Windsor ONT area, jobs (more than part time) were almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a few years ago (2015).

It was so bad, that I knew several young people (very late 20' & very early 30's) trying to get jobs in Detroit!

Think about that for a second...the job situation was so bad for young people, they were trying to come to DETROIT to get work.

I've stayed in contact with some of those people, and the situation in the last 1-2 years has improved for many of them.  A couple moved to Western Canada (Alberta?) and got decent jobs.  A couple managed to get into Detroit and got jobs.  One moved to Toronto area and got a job...and one stayed in Windsor and is semi-employed.

I got the impression that Canada is a great place if you have money.  It is great if you are established or connected...much more difficult if you are relatively recently out of college and looking to get a job/get established.

rb

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Hey all:

I can very much confirm that at least for YOUNG people in the Windsor ONT area, jobs (more than part time) were almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a few years ago (2015).

It was so bad, that I knew several young people (very late 20' & very early 30's) trying to get jobs in Detroit!

Think about that for a second...the job situation was so bad for young people, they were trying to come to DETROIT to get work.

I've stayed in contact with some of those people, and the situation in the last 1-2 years has improved for many of them.  A couple moved to Western Canada (Alberta?) and got decent jobs.  A couple managed to get into Detroit and got jobs.  One moved to Toronto area and got a job...and one stayed in Windsor and is semi-employed.

I got the impression that Canada is a great place if you have money.  It is great if you are established or connected...much more difficult if you are relatively recently out of college and looking to get a job/get established.
Yea, you keep saying that. The problem is that Windsor is basically our version of Flint.

Do you think that if I were to collect anecdotes from a few young people in Flint those would be representative of the United States?

Spekulatius

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Hey all:

I grew up in an economically depressed area in Germany. There were no jobs locally, so you just have to move someplace else. Despite having virtually full employment and plenty of jobs, some people are nevertheless unemployed, because they just donít want or canít move out of the area. This is the case in many areas in the US, but traditionally the mobility in the US has been higher than in Europe and I believe Canada as well. When you think of it in terms of landmass, you canít get a decent job in 95% if the US.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.