Author Topic: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.  (Read 1058599 times)

cherzeca

Re: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.
« Reply #5200 on: January 11, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »
mnuchin is an investor in paulson's fund (though just <1m)

https://extapps2.oge.gov/201/Presiden.nsf/PAS+Index/B003D12FCD5F4C3F852580A5004FF6A4/$FILE/Mnuchin,%20Steven%20T.%20final278.pdf

i would think mnuchin's interest in paulson's advantage should be either be transferred to another party or donated to charity

investorG

« Reply #5201 on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
mnuchin's hearing is reported to not occur until after jan20 inauguration.   i guess it was a good sign that some ethics form news came out today.

trump mentioned in his press conference he would be busy the week of jan 23 with new initiatives / signings.

all things equal, it would perhaps be helpful for the confirmation hearing if one of those early announcements was something like an intention to stop the NWS forward looking --- this could release some heat as it would suggest to those senators opposed to the GSEs that providing justice and kick starting housing are the administration's views rather than one person's (who happened to have a small portion of his $ in Paulson's fund).

undervalued

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

stevevri

« Reply #5203 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
mnuchin is an investor in paulson's fund (though just <1m)

https://extapps2.oge.gov/201/Presiden.nsf/PAS+Index/B003D12FCD5F4C3F852580A5004FF6A4/$FILE/Mnuchin,%20Steven%20T.%20final278.pdf

i would think mnuchin's interest in paulson's advantage should be either be transferred to another party or donated to charity

Same content as the WSJ article basically (WSJ goes a little deeper) but he will divest. WSJ says "that he wouldn’t participate in any matter that has a “direct and predictable effect” on their (Fannie/Freddie) interests until he had divested or unless he received a written waiver."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2017/01/mnuchin-to-divest-positions-in-citigroup-goldman-233474
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:57:33 PM by stevevri »

cherzeca

« Reply #5204 on: January 11, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
mnuchin will divest paulson advantage interest w/in 90 days of confirmation:  http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/Mnuchinletter01112017.pdf

doughishere

« Reply #5205 on: January 12, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »
mnuchin will divest paulson advantage interest w/in 90 days of confirmation:  http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/Mnuchinletter01112017.pdf

Maybe this will be done in 90 days then. Not holding my breath.

Flynnstone5

« Reply #5206 on: January 12, 2017, 05:22:13 AM »
Anyone see the GSE discussion of FnF on Fox Business about an hour ago? I can't find the video yet and only saw the tail end.

James Freeman of WSJ calling for FnF to be wound down and liquidated, protecting taxpayers, CBO estimates moving to pure private would only add small increase to mortgage rates, FnF caused the crisis, etc.

He later made additional comments that he hopes at Mnuchin's confirmation hearing, senators will ask him directly if he finally plans to shut down these two behemoths. Bartiromo replies, well that's exactly what he said he was going to do.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5279352704001/?#sp=show-clips

I continue to see multiple stories now regarding Paulson and the FnF stake. Without a doubt he gets grilled on this ,which IMO is going to send the stock soaring or has the potential to destroy recent gains. I also saw that Paulson owns common shares, which I did not realize. I thought he was in prfd. So the million dollar question aside from a Perry decision in the immediate future is, how does he respond to these questions and what future plan does he provide?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:40:00 AM by Flynnstone5 »

investorG

« Reply #5207 on: January 12, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »

good and simple idea.  charity.

orthopa

« Reply #5208 on: January 12, 2017, 07:03:54 AM »
Anyone see the GSE discussion of FnF on Fox Business about an hour ago? I can't find the video yet and only saw the tail end.

James Freeman of WSJ calling for FnF to be wound down and liquidated, protecting taxpayers, CBO estimates moving to pure private would only add small increase to mortgage rates, FnF caused the crisis, etc.

He later made additional comments that he hopes at Mnuchin's confirmation hearing, senators will ask him directly if he finally plans to shut down these two behemoths. Bartiromo replies, well that's exactly what he said he was going to do.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5279352704001/?#sp=show-clips

I continue to see multiple stories now regarding Paulson and the FnF stake. Without a doubt he gets grilled on this ,which IMO is going to send the stock soaring or has the potential to destroy recent gains. I also saw that Paulson owns common shares, which I did not realize. I thought he was in prfd. So the million dollar question aside from a Perry decision in the immediate future is, how does he respond to these questions and what future plan does he provide?

With James Freeman being a senior editor not hard to figure out WSJ's slanted stance of FnF the last couple of years.

investorG

« Reply #5209 on: January 12, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
i am surprised no equity sell-side analyst besides KBW has published on the GSEs.

obviously i am biased but even if they were to simple outline the bull and bear cases, without making a firm recommendation, it could be very helpful to their customers, much more so than the regular stocks they eagerly write on where 10-50 analysts cover them and the marginal comments are not relevant.

many analysts out there in the hedge funds are likely intrigued by a long investment in the FNMA, but often in such a risky situation they need 'cover' from a sell side analyst in order to present an idea to a portfolio manager / investment committee to avoid looking max foolish if the idea goes sour.