Author Topic: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.  (Read 1950186 times)

Midas79

Re: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.
« Reply #9170 on: January 17, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/how-author-wolff-got-into-trump-s-white-house-for-tell-all-book
In a proposal obtained by Bloomberg News, Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Mel Watt wrote that he and agency staff believe the mortgage market should be supported by shareholder-owned utilities with regulated rates of return and an explicit government guarantee of mortgage bonds.

It appears to be the wrong link. This is the correct one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/fannie-freddie-regulator-calls-for-utility-mortgage-guarantors

TonyG

« Reply #9171 on: January 17, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »
sounds similar to berk and tim howard..

Luke 5:32

« Reply #9172 on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »
It appears to be the wrong link. This is the correct one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/fannie-freddie-regulator-calls-for-utility-mortgage-guarantors

Doh!  My mistake... corrected the original post.  Thank you!
You are willing to give your life, if necessary, to protect a stranger... me, my bride, each one of our children. For that I thank you every single day, veterans. And I consider you a friend. "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

SnarkyPuppy

« Reply #9173 on: January 17, 2018, 01:13:57 PM »
How much more obvious does it need to get outside of literally implementing the plan?

investorG

« Reply #9174 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
How much more obvious does it need to get outside of literally implementing the plan?

ha!

if only it was so easy -- watt is a big player on dividends.  not so much on turning them into shareholder owned utilities.

still, I am grateful to him for this bold and fair move, at least what was reported in the Bloomberg article, if it's true.

Luke 5:32

« Reply #9175 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

Interesting timing of Watt's comments given the speech by Craig Phillips tomorrow.  Not expecting much, but wouldn't be surprised if more details emerge.
You are willing to give your life, if necessary, to protect a stranger... me, my bride, each one of our children. For that I thank you every single day, veterans. And I consider you a friend. "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

emily

« Reply #9176 on: January 17, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »
Is this proposal by Watt good or bad for shareholders?

In a proposal obtained by Bloomberg News, Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Mel Watt wrote that he and agency staff believe the mortgage market should be supported by shareholder-owned utilities with regulated rates of return and an explicit government guarantee of mortgage bonds.

Cox022

« Reply #9177 on: January 17, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
Seems like Joe went out of his way to avoid writing the sentence, 'FHFA's regulator wants Fannie and Freddie to become recapitalized and turned into shareholder-owned utilities.'

If that sentence was not true, I'm sure he would be quick to point that out. 

I'm just speculating for fun.  Joe's work is much better than past coverage by his peers, imo *ducks for cover*.

As with everything else, we will just have to wait for source material to know for sure.

cherzeca

« Reply #9178 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
watt is not a banker so he doesnt know how to execute a FnF recapitalization.  my guess is that he will leave that up to mnuchin...who knows that the moelis blueprint makes sense if a recap is where you want to go.  as for the mbs fed guaranty, sure why not sounds great for a fhfa regulator to have a fed backstop.

SnarkyPuppy

« Reply #9179 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Wasn't a shareholder owned regulated utility exactly berkowitz proposal?