Author Topic: US China Manufacturing Story Resonates  (Read 2795 times)

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: US China Manufacturing Story Resonates
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:05:18 AM »
Hi Jeff,

It appears, that I was willing to load up on the four big US banks in January this year. ... -Well, sometimes things and opinons just change. [It's now down to three.]

Somehow, I consider this topic your personal sandbox topic here on CoBF.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Congrats on your exams! -That's just awesome!

- - - o 0 o - - -

Also I just want here to express my understanding of you not being particular active here on CoBF ATM. Life isen't easy, when it gives you lemons. I just hope that you're [so-so] OK. [It will fit you well, if you aren't, actually.]

Thanks John!

I am alive and well and reading music written on traditional manuscript paper took less time to learn than I thought.
(Working through some waltzes right now, and finding out that I'm not super crazy about waltzes.)

Back on topic: I'll be going with my fellow PSC guitar majors to the Guitar Foundation of America (GFA) competition in Louisiville, KY this coming June.

http://www.guitarfoundation.org

Kenny Hill of Hill Guitar (from the article this thread is about) will be there along with a lot of other luthiers.
Their Chinese made Estudio model is my favorite instrument and gets more play time than any other.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some of the guys from Godin.
They made my La Patrie Etude, which is my 2nd favorite (a very nice Canadian made classical guitar.)
I like that it uses a non-traditional tone wood (Wild Cherry) for the back & sides (laminate) & has a solid Canadian cedar top.
They claim to produce these by hand (anyone live near them in Quebec?)

http://www.godinguitars.com
http://www.lapatrieguitars.com

The GFA competition is a great chance for anyone who's interested in trying out a lot of different instruments without having to drive all over hell's half acre to do it (not that driving all over hells half acre wouldn't be fun, because it would, but all in one place is nice too.)

---

As an aside, I've been posting less because I've been busy as shit with school but even more importantly, I noticed that I have a higher post count than many here who contribute wayyy more to financial discussions (globalfinancepartners for one) and I need to slow it down & start listening to my betters a bit more.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:15:13 AM by DooDiligence »
Healthcare 40.4% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 19.8% // Media & Communication 10.8% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 12.0% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.0% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.0% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 01/18/2019 minus $$$ 4 skool

patience?

https://twitter.com/tunawish

John Hjorth

« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:21:00 AM »
Jeff,

I saw your grades on Twitter for second half 2018! - Congrats!

-Please tell us some more about why the guitar [which I perceive as your primary] is some kind of a challenge for you, while at the same time, the piano is just some kind of breeze for you! Personally as a non-musician, I can't comprehend why it is so! [To me, it seems like both instruments are about touching something, to get a tone.]

- - - o 0 o - - -

Attached is the 2017 annual report of a very a successful Danish company living by providing joy to customers. Please don't take it too seriously - I'm confident you'll do well! Please think of it more like Mr. Buffett's promise to himself never to change the name of what he has called his biggest mistake - to never forget! - Just in case you later choose to incorporate!
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:29:15 PM »
Jeff,

I saw your grades on Twitter for second half 2018! - Congrats!

-Please tell us some more about why the guitar [which I perceive as your primary] is some kind of a challenge for you, while at the same time, the piano is just some kind of breeze for you! Personally as a non-musician, I can't comprehend why it is so! [To me, it seems like both instruments are about touching something, to get a tone.]

- - - o 0 o - - -

Attached is the 2017 annual report of a very a successful Danish company living by providing joy to customers. Please don't take it too seriously - I'm confident you'll do well! Please think of it more like Mr. Buffett's promise to himself never to change the name of what he has called his biggest mistake - to never forget! - Just in case you later choose to incorporate!

Thanks for the link to Down the Drain.
These guys do a ton of shows.
Might be a nice source for work after I graduate.

---

Classical guitar is extremely picky.
It's too formal & performances are lifeless (to me.)

You are required to play sitting down with your left leg raised up on a foot stool.
I play standing up with a strap & don't enjoy playing while sitting.

Classical guitar also requires a LOT of practice which I'm not willing to do (I'd rather practice piano.)
I want the best grades possible & to make more progress on the piano (there's only so many hours in the day.)
Progress on the piano is much quicker, although the instrument is by no means easy to master.

I still play guitar for at least an hour a day but I play what I want to play, and how I want to play it.

Even though I don't like playing classical guitar, I now prefer nylon stringed guitars over steel strings.
The nut is wider & the strings don't tear my fingernails up.
I've always played "finger-style" & almost never use a pick.
Haven't touched a steel string in a while.

Incidentally, I also prefer playing keyboard standing up but sitting doesn't bother me.
My piano at home is set up so that I play standing up, and I sit for lessons & when practicing at school.
My technique is the same either standing or sitting.

With classical guitar you have to sit in order to generate consistent tone.
It's all about developing muscle memory so your fingers strike the strings exactly the same way every time (bah...)
I find it uncomfortable.

This is all about having fun & the piano is fun regardless of the musical genre.
Playing popular music with a guitar strapped on is fun.

Classical guitar bores the crap out of me.
Healthcare 40.4% - ABC BBH CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 19.8% // Media & Communication 10.8% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 12.0% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 13.0% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech & Comms 4.0% - AAPL SFTBY

%'s held @ MV 01/18/2019 minus $$$ 4 skool

patience?

https://twitter.com/tunawish