Author Topic: marijuana stocks  (Read 887 times)

pcm983

marijuana stocks
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »
at the risk of getting laughed out of the room in a value-oriented investment club...

think the STZ deal does make this a "real" industry now. valuations obviously seem pretty high when you have these unproven enterprises trading at or above the tev / sales levels of high growth SaaS companies, which themselves could be argued are expensive.

one I've just started looking at that seems interesting is Green Thumb Industries - seems to be much cheaper on TEV / Sales vs. Tilray and this company actually has exclusively U.S. exposure through state licenses vs. many of the peer stocks which are exclusively Canada.

Also the founder / current CEO is a professional investor and the grandson of the founder of Jim Beam.

Currently at ~30x TEV / run-rate sales which is obviously high relative to any company, but that said revenues grew 300% YoY and 25% QoQ.

The long-run question which remains up for debate is whether these end-up being commoditized businesses in the long-run or whether they end up being classic CPG businesses or bear substantial resemblance to alcohol / cigarettes in terms of profitability and brand power.

While demand is definitely there, it does seem like there is an onslaught of supply coming online as well and I have seen some stories about a supply glut in different regions.

https://business.financialpost.com/cannabis/jim-beam-heir-turns-to-pot-with-plan-for-a-cannabis-empire-1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:00:09 PM by pcm983 »

pcm983

Re: marijuana stocks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
at the risk of getting laughed out of the room in a value-oriented investment club...

think the STZ deal does make this a "real" industry now. valuations obviously seem pretty high when you have these unproven enterprises trading at or above the tev / sales levels of high growth SaaS companies, which themselves could be argued are expensive.

one I've just started looking at that seems interesting is Green Thumb Industries - seems to be much cheaper on TEV / Sales vs. Tilray and this company actually has exclusively U.S. exposure through state licenses vs. many of the peer stocks which are exclusively Canada.

Also the founder / current CEO is a professional investor and the grandson of the founder of Jim Beam.

Currently at ~30x TEV / run-rate sales which is obviously high relative to any company, but that said revenues grew 300% YoY and 25% QoQ.

The long-run question which remains up for debate is whether these end-up being commoditized businesses in the long-run or whether they end up being classic CPG businesses or bear substantial resemblance to alcohol / cigarettes in terms of profitability and brand power.

While demand is definitely there, it does seem like there is an onslaught of supply coming online as well and I have seen some stories about a supply glut in different regions.

obviously a big reason for the run in the comps to Canopy is speculation on STZ copycat deals by the likes of spirits players or CSD players which is being reported on in the press.

https://business.financialpost.com/cannabis/jim-beam-heir-turns-to-pot-with-plan-for-a-cannabis-empire-1

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:05:26 AM »
WTF...Tilray..which is expected to do sales of under $40 million this year (and is not profitable) had their market cap go up to $28 billion yesterday, just based on their CEO basically saying a pharmaceutical company should buy them in an interview with Jim Cramer.

...not a bubble at all

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
WTF...Tilray..which is expected to do sales of under $40 million this year (and is not profitable) had their market cap go up to $28 billion yesterday, just based on their CEO basically saying a pharmaceutical company should buy them in an interview with Jim Cramer.

...not a bubble at all

Crypto traders (those who still have any money left) looking for a new exciting ride to jump into...
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on sleep science

SmoothSailor

• If you don't love the process, you lose anyway
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
I'm also in agreement with this. I think the vast majority of pot stocks are garbage but there might be nuggets here and there where you can find something great. The biggest problem I have with seriously pursuing this is the issue of Canadian investors who own cannabis-related companies having problems crossing the border...

Hopefully this will change? https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabis/2018/09/18/canada-us-urged-to-compromise-on-cannabis-at-border.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:48:06 PM by SmoothSailor »

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
I think the vast majority of pot stocks are garbage but there might be nuggets here and there

Nice pun..intentional or not.

I have absolutely no idea what differentiates any of these marijuana companies from the rest of them. While I indulge once in a while, the business site of this is way outside my circle of competency.

SmoothSailor

• If you don't love the process, you lose anyway
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
I think the vast majority of pot stocks are garbage but there might be nuggets here and there

Nice pun..intentional or not.

I have absolutely no idea what differentiates any of these marijuana companies from the rest of them. While I indulge once in a while, the business site of this is way outside my circle of competency.

I was so hoping someone would catch that :D

mcliu

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Valuation still cheaper than crypto.