Author Topic: Cryptocurrencies  (Read 65201 times)

roughlyright

Re: Cryptocurrencies
« Reply #560 on: February 08, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
I check bitcoin price at least 5-7 times a day even though I have no stake in it. I wonder once I do and if it falls a lot , I would be glued to it as it trades 24 hours. Scary. So am trying to see where approx. the bottom may be. One is mining cost that could still go down with lower energy cost and if they end up mining bitcoin more than 21M.

Roubini says bitcoin could drop between $20 and $89 (says bubble to the power of 2 or 3). Is this guy reliable?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-02-02/nouriel-roubini-says-bitcoin-is-much-worse-than-tulipmania-video

I think there is zero probability that will happen. It will be interesting if Roubini actually puts his money where his mouth is and take this bet with me on longbets site. I am open to anyone who wants to bet with me on this :-)

no_free_lunch

« Reply #561 on: February 08, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »

emily

« Reply #562 on: February 09, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
Steve Wozniak Sold All His Bitcoin: Bought It At $700

https://www.investopedia.com/news/steve-wozniak-has-sold-his-bitcoin/

emily

« Reply #563 on: February 09, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
Winklevoss brothers buy bitcoin at $8.00 and worried about hack, so store in their own vault, Gemini.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-02-07/winklevoss-brothers-are-long-on-cryptocurrencies-video

emily

« Reply #564 on: February 09, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
SD: Best I have heard and so true. Thank you.  "You have to control the money - and not allow the money to control you"

May be I have a gambling gene. I have never played even a dime in Las Vegas or in any slot machine. Trying to do my homework than hoping for a homerun. So, is there a measure of intrinsic value or a floor to bitcoin's value?

I check bitcoin price at least 5-7 times a day even though I have no stake in it. I wonder once I do and if it falls a lot , I would be glued to it as it trades 24 hours. Scary.

Sounds like you have the gambling gene. When you notice that, the proper thing to do is to stay away from gambling.

Agreed; you have to control the money - and not allow the money to control you. There are lots of examples of folks who let the money go to their heads, then discovering that it often destroys lives. Victims range from yesterdays plumber suddenly winning the lottery, to celebrities dying from overdoses. Part of tuition - is learning how to deal with wealth (& lack of).

SD
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:17:25 AM by emily »

no_free_lunch

« Reply #565 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
So, is there a measure of intrinsic value or a floor to bitcoin's value?

All I know is there are people much smarter than me who can't come to agreement on what it's intrinsic value is.  I think it's proportional to the network of users but what does that even mean? 

The floor is something that you can establish, it's 0.  It's just software running on a bunch of computers.  If a better version comes along, it's worthless.

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #566 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
Just throwing out a guess here - but somewhere between EURO 1-2.

It will very likely always be more valuable to the criminal element than a EURO 1 coin - simply because it's annonymous and electronic. How much more will depend on how much someone is trying to buy at the time, and why they are buying. On any given day, anyone in the world trying to hide assets in a divorce proceeding, might quite happily pay 'above market' - in the expectation that even if they end up selling at a loss, it's highly unlikely to be 50%. Therefore a maximum of 2 EURO. 

SD

emily

« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
Is there any good book on Crypto to read?

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Is there any good book on Crypto to read?

The only books I've read are "Mastering Bitcoin: Unlocking Digital Cryptocurrencies" by Andreas M. Antonopoulos  and
"The Internet of Money" also by Andreas M. Antonopoulos.

Both are excellent.  Mastering Bitcoin is more about how bitcoin works and how to use it, where The Internet of Money is a book about the effects the technology will have on the future.  You can pretty much get everything in The Internet of Money by searching for Andreas Anonopoulos on youtube and watching all of his videos.