Author Topic: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.  (Read 1697602 times)

Luke 5:32

Re: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.
« Reply #8410 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
trump has just signed an executive order ordering executive agencies to deregulate much of the individual health care insurance market.  trump gave congress ample opportunity to act first, and then acted under his own power to the extent he could after congress failed to act.

looks like a great template for fixing the GSEs

ObamaCare subsidy is going to be gone, too.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/trump-obamacare-subsidy-243736
"Bring your sorrows and trade them for joy. From the ashes a new life is born." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQ5yXCc_CA&list=PLWvahZRxLnLMSWeULnub0CCeQzvxGM8hB

cherzeca

« Reply #8411 on: October 12, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »
from a political science perspective, it is interesting to see how obama and trump are both resorting to pushing executive power to the edge in the face of congressional dysfunction.  congress has become too polarized to act in its intended manner.  for someone who loves the constitution and this country, this is nauseating.  potus is not supposed to be an enacting branch but an executing branch.   

muscleman

« Reply #8412 on: October 13, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
from a political science perspective, it is interesting to see how obama and trump are both resorting to pushing executive power to the edge in the face of congressional dysfunction.  congress has become too polarized to act in its intended manner.  for someone who loves the constitution and this country, this is nauseating.  potus is not supposed to be an enacting branch but an executing branch.

The pendulum is simply swinging from one extreme to the other. When Obama crossed the lines to do all these controversial things, it takes Trump to go to the other extreme to correct it.

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #8413 on: October 13, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

The pendulum is simply swinging from one extreme to the other. When Obama crossed the lines to do all these controversial things, it takes Trump to go to the other extreme to correct it.

It's not the opposite extreme - it's the same extreme by an opposing party.

I tend to agree with Cherzeca. I hated it when Obama did it. I hate it when Trump does it. I hate 90% of the members of Congress, but I also don't know what can be done to fix the system. Congress is simply a reflection of the population - ultimately, the responsibility rests with the people since we're the ones who put these chumps in power.

cherzeca

« Reply #8414 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »

I tend to agree with Cherzeca. I hated it when Obama did it. I hate it when Trump does it. I hate 90% of the members of Congress, but I also don't know what can be done to fix the system. Congress is simply a reflection of the population - ultimately, the responsibility rests with the people since we're the ones who put these chumps in power.

when potus just does what it wants, then you get stupid decisions like the net worth sweep.  sure congress can do dumb things too, but there seems to be more inertia (which is both good and bad)

Sunrider

« Reply #8415 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Start by stopping gerrymandering - I read somewhere that some states apparently have gotten rid of that practice, so it can be done.

waynepolsonAtoZ

« Reply #8416 on: October 13, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
Hi! I just wanted to mention that the "ACA sabotage" is expected to add $6 b to the deficit in 2018, $21 b in 2020, and $26 b in 2026, if I copied the numbers right.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/10/13/voters_think_trump_owns_his_obamacare_sabotage_republican_politicians_agree.html

It seems increasingly likely (to me) that the gov't will not give up on the NWS anytime soon.

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #8417 on: October 13, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Hi! I just wanted to mention that the "ACA sabotage" is expected to add $6 b to the deficit in 2018, $21 b in 2020, and $26 b in 2026, if I copied the numbers right.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/10/13/voters_think_trump_owns_his_obamacare_sabotage_republican_politicians_agree.html

It seems increasingly likely (to me) that the gov't will not give up on the NWS anytime soon.

Would be interesting to see how they calculated that the gov't NOT paying billions to insurers somehow increased the deficit by more than if the gov't DOES pay billions to insurers. I'm sure there's some assumptions about collateral damage and such - would just be curious to see what assumptions those were and how they account for them.

waynepolsonAtoZ

« Reply #8418 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
Fair enough. Another thing is that a serious attack on the health care industry could cause a recession. Health care is 1/6 of the economy at this point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-ahca-recession-report/530322/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:51:15 PM by waynepolsonAtoZ »

rros

« Reply #8419 on: October 13, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
Fair enough. Another thing is that a serious attack on the health care industry could cause a recession. Health care is 1/6 of the economy at this point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-ahca-recession-report/530322/
The current low volatility environment is scary. You all know the next thing coming is volatility with potentially big sell-offs. What event may trigger this nobody knows. Neither when. But when it happens healthcare may not be the only industry pushing us into a recession. Extremely low unemployment, rising rates and industry bottlenecks will also contribute to have corporate profits take a hit.

In a downturn the nws will not add to neither benefit the government. Instead, it will become another burden. The logic of keeping it may then go up in flames.

This is a case of 'know when to fold them'. Looking at the rear-view mirror the nws was awesome to Treasury in many ways. Going forward it is a question mark. KWTFT means cashing in the warrants.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:19:23 PM by rros »