Author Topic: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.  (Read 2625917 times)

orthopa

Re: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.
« Reply #10610 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »
With the recent market turmoil and rates rising as they have been I think Mnuchin maybe forced to act sooner then he may have wanted as I think/bet housing is going to start to get hit. Home prices are starting to fall already on the coasts and homes are not moving nearly as fast as they used to otherwise as prices have not come down yet. It isnt simply that linear but rates going forward to have found a bottom and prices, ie the wealth effect will take a hit. Im not calling a top in the economy or recession necessarily but valuations of every asset are going to start heading down.

For time sake I hope this is addressed before Mnuchin has to worry about a housing related crash but 6-12-18 months from now housing prices are going to start coming down. Hopefully will provide a push in the right direction.

rros

« Reply #10611 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
With the recent market turmoil and rates rising as they have been I think Mnuchin maybe forced to act sooner then he may have wanted as I think/bet housing is going to start to get hit. Home prices are starting to fall already on the coasts and homes are not moving nearly as fast as they used to otherwise as prices have not come down yet. It isnt simply that linear but rates going forward to have found a bottom and prices, ie the wealth effect will take a hit. Im not calling a top in the economy or recession necessarily but valuations of every asset are going to start heading down.

For time sake I hope this is addressed before Mnuchin has to worry about a housing related crash but 6-12-18 months from now housing prices are going to start coming down. Hopefully will provide a push in the right direction.
Later this month Treasury releases its semiannual currency report. We will see if Mnuchin has changed his stance re China as currency manipulator. Not too long ago he was squarely in the moderate camp looking for an amicable solution. He now appears to be aligning himself with the more radical side at the WH. Is he being pressured to get in line with the 'war on China'? Point being, relying on Mnuchin's original view on Fannie and Freddie may have become quicksand.

allnatural

« Reply #10612 on: October 11, 2018, 05:40:49 AM »
Mnuchin literally just renewed his push for GSE reform post midterms 2 weeks ago. He reiterated that he wants to get them out of government control (not get rid of them) and he wants to get taxpayers off the hook of the current system. He tends to comment on the GSEs every Q or so and the message has been pretty consistent.

Later this month Treasury releases its semiannual currency report. We will see if Mnuchin has changed his stance re China as currency manipulator. Not too long ago he was squarely in the moderate camp looking for an amicable solution. He now appears to be aligning himself with the more radical side at the WH. Is he being pressured to get in line with the 'war on China'? Point being, relying on Mnuchin's original view on Fannie and Freddie may have become quicksand.

rros

« Reply #10613 on: October 11, 2018, 05:55:51 AM »
Mnuchin literally just renewed his push for GSE reform post midterms 2 weeks ago. He reiterated that he wants to get them out of government control (not get rid of them) and he wants to get taxpayers off the hook of the current system. He tends to comment on the GSEs every Q or so and the message has been pretty consistent.

Perhaps... Also, housing reform, given its domestic nature, may be more insulated from pressures than areas related to world supremacy. So maybe Mnuchin has not changed his stance. But this doesn't mean he never will as he seems to be caving under Robert lighthizer and Peter Navarro's pressure. Hopefully, Trump and Mnuchin are on the same wave re Fannie/Freddie.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:59:09 AM by rros »

investorG

« Reply #10614 on: October 11, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »

'renewed his push' ?  more like 'dribbled out his stale rhetoric'.

allnatural

« Reply #10615 on: October 11, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
That's definitely one way of looking at it. But keep in mind the moderator simply asked him whats next on his agenda for the upcoming year and he brought up the GSEs voluntarily on his own and did his little 1 minute blurb about it. Combine last weeks interview with Phillips saying a week prior that housing reform is next up on Mnuchins docket. Who knows if we are being honest but it does seem they are sticking their neck out to reiterate housing reform is a priority when they really dont need to.

orthopa

« Reply #10616 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »

Thats what I am referring to. He said get them out of government control 2 years ago now. Of everything that could be pushing him towards speeding up the process  the housing market sure wasnt one them. Will have to see if that changes. Redfins CEOs comments recently are concerning.

rros

« Reply #10617 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

Thats what I am referring to. He said get them out of government control 2 years ago now. Of everything that could be pushing him towards speeding up the process  the housing market sure wasnt one them. Will have to see if that changes. Redfins CEOs comments recently are concerning.
Which begs the question... what is really in the Fed/Treasury's mind?

The Fed raised interest rates to 6% in 1929 amid a softening economy. The following year the Tariff Act of 1930 (Smoot–Hawley Tariff) was signed into law raising tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods to protect american workers (specially farmers) and Treasury under Andrew Mellon was hell bent on cleaning up rotten speculative investments. They were in a collision course. And they never saw the iceberg.

We can't ignore history with Jerome Powell at the Fed's helm and a Trump presidency. Just like Mnuchin may have become quicksand we can't rely on this administration to act rationally.

I also thought at the beginning of the year a bad market for housing would push for action. Take a look at cut, wood, nvr, len, dhi, tol, bzh, phm, shw stock after stock related to housing (materials, remodeling, real estate, etc.) have all dropped dramatically and here we are. I do not think the housing market or markets in general are of any relevance to this Administration. They have a different agenda which leaves us not knowing where we or them stand.

Luke 5:32

« Reply #10618 on: October 11, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
Judge Brown (Perry dissent)

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1050488659097636867
Retired DC Circuit Judge Janice Rogers Brown apparently in the mix to be attorney general.....
Doesn't beat around the bush, gets right down to the business of Christ laying down His life and conquering death for you, me, and everybody else that accepts Him. "Oh death, where is your sting? Oh Hell, where is your victory?" Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJzhkWVANc

rros

« Reply #10619 on: October 11, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
How is that going to play out if she is appointed? She wrote a scathing opinion against the nws.. How in the world will she defend it?