Author Topic: Garth Turner - Real Estate in Canada  (Read 443392 times)

rb

Re: Garth Turner - Real Estate in Canada
« Reply #1800 on: November 24, 2018, 10:14:20 PM »
Cigarbutt, I'd say that generally we is us as a society. But more specifically the ones that we as the society put in charge to ensure our well being.

When you get into the weeds, things get more complicated and confusing. The regular person may thing that the Bank of Canada (due to its imposing name) should be on top of this. But BoC's job is mainly inflation. It's not to look after debt/asset bubbles, even though it takes an interest in such things.

Eventually the ones that took charge to reign in the madness was OSFI. Btw, I think that the new regulations that OSFI brought in are very much commonsense and the right way to go about it. But the average Joe has no idea what an OSFI is. To the average person OSFI is one of those agencies that you only learn exists when the aliens attack.

In regards to the comments about BoC raising rates back in 2011. I disagree. In 2011 it was clear that the economy needed low rates. It would have been stupid to raise them at that point. The hike rates argument back then was this: Let's have an economic crisis now so we don't potentially have an economic crisis in the future. That's madness. A better solution would have been this: keep rates low, implement the OSFI rules we put in place now along with a significantly bigger deficit. That would have been smart.

This brings us to the other point you've raised. The deficit. Yes we're running a deficit at the federal level. Yes, it'll be a round for a while. Given the situation that's ok. The reality is that Canada in a strong fiscal position. The debt to GDP ratio is around 30% (the US by comparison is over 100%). The deficit while not small, at 1.9% is fairly benign. Running deficits at this level will shrink debt to GDP. If you're attempting to delever households you don't do fiscal tightening. In fact, if households start to delever the right thing to do will be run up the deficit. No tax cuts either, full spending ahead.

In retrospect this is really a much better time to stop the debt party than back in 2011. The economy is somewhere in the neighborhood of full employment so there's forward momentum. More importantly the US economy is doing well. That means that we can partly export out way out of this mess. The ideal way this happens is that households start to delver, reducing household consumption. That gets offset by higher net exports and government consumption (read higher deficits). By the end we have a debt to gdp ratio in the 40-50% range and no economic crisis.

In practice that requires a pretty difficult balancing act. To implement you have to keep your eyes on the ball and spend huge amounts of political capital. I just pray that our leaders are up to the task. Especially when it comes to spending political capital and take the body blows that come with that.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #1801 on: November 25, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
^Thanks for the perspective and you wrap it up nicely.
Just in case for international readers, the public debt to GDP in Canada has an unusually high component of provincial debt which, in total, puts us in the OECD pack.

Sincerely, I hope you're right.
When thinking of the real estate picture in Canada, I don't use a Monte Carlo simulation (garbage-in-garbage-out, backward looking, underestimation of correlation between inputs etc) but use different scenarios.
I guess using scenarios is reasonable because our situation is somewhat bizarre especially when I read that Cardboard and yourself seem to be on the same side concerning the inappropriateness to raise rates at this point, which is really a head-scratcher.
In the event that the economy refuses to cooperate and/or austerity (oops! dirty word) becomes imposed, I want to make sure that I can contribute my fair share to our redistribution effort.

I'm also reading my fair share about Mr. Paul Volcker these days (his name is brought up not to argue about what he would do or suggest here but to underline the huge weight on public people's shoulders and their "political" capital). When he "caused" a recession, he was a hated figure and kept receiving car keys and others through the mail and it must have felt awful at the time. But he rose to the occasion and grew taller.

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1802 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »
if rates are too low (especially when they are negative real rates) the result will be much more debt. The longer you wait to normalize rates the bugger the debt bubble gets. It then becomes impossible to raise rates to normal levels due to the impact it would have on all of the debt.

Canada is in a bit of a pickle. And add in the challenges currently facing Alberta and the oil patch and it certainly is hard to see how rates in Canada move much higher...

mcliu

« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2018, 04:47:31 AM »
The other problem is if rates in Canada are much lower than the US, there'll probably be significant capital outflows.

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1805 on: December 04, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
November real estate stats are out for greater Vancouver: https://www.rebgv.org/monthly-reports/november-2018

“The total number of homes currently listed for sale on the MLS® system in Metro Vancouver is 12,307, a 40.7 per cent increase compared to November 2017 (8,747) and a 5.2 per cent decrease compared to October 2018 (12,984).”

If inventory continues to grow at such a rapid pace (40%) it will get interesting to see what happens to prices... It certainly is not a pretty picture and the macro backdrop (rising interest rates, tighter lending standards, higher taxes, higher hurdles for foreign buyers, clamping down on Air BNB rentals etc) Will not help.