Global Phone

JEast

As this is a very global bunch of folks.  Any comments/recommendations for a dual sim global phone with all bands that works in all SE Asia (including Japan).  The Huawei P10 and OnePlus 5T have good reviews but actual use is lacking for on the ground feedback.

I've used both iPhone's & Samsung's with no problem in Brasil.

I'm with Sprint & had to get them to do a SIM unlock (they make you jump through hoops & only unlock 1 phone per year on an active account.)

Sprint uses CDMA while most of the world uses GSM & the unlock allows you to use the phone on a GSM network.

I used to get Verizon phones (Apple & Samsung) & they were unlocked straight from the factory.

In Brasil you can buy SIM cards from magazine stands & other sources & then you use a CPF number (the same as a Social Security Number in the US) in order to activate the SIM card & voila, you have a pay as you go phone.

Haven't been to SE Asia in a decade so can't comment.

That said, a lot of guys were using T-Mobile & could use their phones down there for both domestic calls (within Brasil) & calls to the US, all with no extra charges.

I use Google's Project Fi. It works in these countries: https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

Data is a flat $10/gb in most countries. Voice charges vary and can be high, but you can always go into airplane mode and call over a wifi connection.

Im using the Moto X4, which cost $300. I've been very happy with it. I think the only noticeable difference for the normal consumer between a high priced phone and a medium priced phone is maybe the camera. X4 camera is good for what I do.

Fi rates in the US are $20 for the service, plus $10 a gigabyte for data. Phone is on top of that and financed at 0% interest for 24 months. The app Datally (made by Google) is really helpful for reducing background data use. It claims to have reduced my data charges by 28%. The phone service in the US is as good as the T-Mobile network (not particularly good).

If you sign up use this link and we both get $20: https://g.co/fi/r/XE066W

I use Google's Project Fi. It works in these countries: https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

Data is a flat $10/gb in most countries. Voice charges vary and can be high, but you can always go into airplane mode and call over a wifi connection.

Im using the Moto X4, which cost $300. I've been very happy with it. I think the only noticeable difference for the normal consumer between a high priced phone and a medium priced phone is maybe the camera. X4 camera is good for what I do.

Fi rates in the US are $20 for the service, plus $10 a gigabyte for data. Phone is on top of that and financed at 0% interest for 24 months. The app Datally (made by Google) is really helpful for reducing background data use. It claims to have reduced my data charges by 28%. The phone service in the US is as good as the T-Mobile network (not particularly good).

If you sign up use this link and we both get $20: https://g.co/fi/r/XE066W

I use Google's Project Fi too and it's great and cheap.

Couple comments though: you are limited to 3-5 phone models that Fi supports. If you're happy with that, then it's fine; If not, then Fi is not for you. There is also a risk that if your phone breaks, you may have no choice of what phone to buy at all. There was half year when Fi had only Pixel for sale. A single phone model. That's it.

The phone service in the US is as good as the T-Mobile network (not particularly good).

Not quite true. Their phone service in US is on top of both T-Mobile and Sprint. That's why you can only use couple phones that support switching between the two on the fly.

If you are on WiFi, your calls will go through WiFi. This may be good or bad. I and my friends experienced both incoming and outgoing calls not going through because (likely) Fi was trying to route them through WiFi and failing. This is annoying when it happens.