Author Topic: Greenlight Q3 Letter  (Read 9438 times)

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
Paul

Haasje

• Special Situations Report
Re: Greenlight Q3 Letter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Your article was fine but I didn't care for the spammy email I got after visiting your site/page.
Paul

Haasje

• Special Situations Report
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:38:39 AM »
Noted Stahleyp. I'll look at that email to check what you mean. May have to rethink that.

For good measure: if you read the article you don't get any email. It is triggered when you visit the page about my premium service.

The article is unrelated. 

Lakesider

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

Spekulatius

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
No man is a failure who has friends!

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
How much gold does he have?  Any ideas?

Gregmal

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
August is off to a good start with Tesla and GM.

I have typically been a fan of Einhorn, but this stuff from him is inexcusable. As things shake out, and guys like Ackman and Tilson do what they do, I'm beginning to wonder if that age of hedge fund "stars" was really just a result of being in the right place at the right time. It was impossible not to outperform as a value investor in the early 2000's. If you were shorting it you looked even more genius because we all know what kind of stuff value guys would be shorting during that time frame too. But longer term this period IMO just reinforced arrogance and the textbook teachings of "value investing" which in turn probably hindered these guys ability to adapt or change on the fly. I mean between Tilson, Ackman, and Einhorn, I don't think any of them ever had a real job or relevant experience coming out of school. They basically lived spoiled rich kid lives and then played hedge fund manager with family money instead of getting real jobs. To their credit, they were bright enough to run the gauntlet and become insanely rich and popular, but I don't think they have the same hardened mentality or intimate understanding of how things really work to be sustainable. Looking at the real deal guys, Buffett, Cohen, Tepper, etc, they all did their time on the street and earned valuable life lessons before striking it out on their own. In terms of "fight" I think this goes a long way in shaping an investor vs a rich kid who's always gotten what he wants.

given2invest

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
Tilson should not be in the same paragraph as Einhorn and Ackman.

For starters, they are billionaires from managing money.  Tilson probably worth 10 million max.

Second, Tilson never had a good track record.  At least Einhorn and Ackman did for a number of years.

Tilson is all hype.  Go look at his returns.  There is a reason he never accumulated any AUM.

For the rest of what you said, definitely possible.  But they still billionaires.