Honest Man Emerges From Muck of Banking

Carvel46

I'll double down on my first post! A great read... reminds me of Prem.

The Banker Who Said No

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/03/banking-andy-beal-business-wall-street-beal.html

"He thinks the government is going to be "disappointed" by its various programs to revive lending. He says Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's new plan to guarantee loans to buyers of toxic assets won't lead to many sales because the problem isn't liquidity but price. They are not low enough. Half the country's banks--4,000 in all--would be bust, he says, if they marked their loans to what the loans would fetch in an auction. He says banks are fooling themselves by refusing to mark busted assets down.

"Banks are on a prayer mission that somehow prices will come back and they won't have to face reality," Beal says. And that reality, according to Beal, is going to get a lot worse. "Unemployment is going over 10%, commercial real estate hasn't even begun collapsing and corporate credit defaults are just getting started," he says. His prediction: depression, without bread lines this time, thanks to the government safety net, but with equal cost to society."

I also believe that banks won't price price them correctly so that few will want to buy in (not counting the swapping of toxic assets between banks ::) ).  This is why I believe we will see the nationalizing of banks by the end of the year.  This is the only way to get it cleaned up.