Author Topic: If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...  (Read 8591 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
Seems like people here haven't actually read the article. While they are discontinuing the Portfolio feature of Google Finance, they've actually confirmed they're going to be developing the Google Finance product again for the first time in years. Overall, this seems like a good thing to me since Yahoo Finance is pretty crappy..

Seems like they are removing one of the major features of it, which doesn't really translate to developing the product. We'll see, but based on their track record, it doesn't augur well.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »
augustabound:
Ditto, If you ever find a good replacement let me know.
I looked a few years ago when they dropped it but I kind of gave up.

"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

wachtwoord

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
I like their graphs better than Yahoo Finance and use it a lot. Also their data often seems more correct than Yahoo (of course you need to check, but nice if you can discard ideas quickly).

I hope they won't degrade the service.
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master"

MRCR - FELP - ALS.TO - PDER - COMX - WWIB.OL -
 SODI - NVTR - ADDC - UPGI - HNFSA - IPO.TO - BONL - BWEL - GNW - NYRT - POE.V

Hielko

• Alpha Vulture
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
Seems like people here haven't actually read the article. While they are discontinuing the Portfolio feature of Google Finance, they've actually confirmed they're going to be developing the Google Finance product again for the first time in years. Overall, this seems like a good thing to me since Yahoo Finance is pretty crappy..

Seems like they are removing one of the major features of it, which doesn't really translate to developing the product. We'll see, but based on their track record, it doesn't augur well.
Given that it's a super old site that has never been updated I assume that they are probably going to develop the replacement from scratch or something close to it. Spending significant resources on making it possible to transport user data from the old site to the new site is presumably not worth it, especially if the new feature is going to have different features and/or data sources.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
Given that it's a super old site that has never been updated I assume that they are probably going to develop the replacement from scratch or something close to it. Spending significant resources on making it possible to transport user data from the old site to the new site is presumably not worth it, especially if the new feature is going to have different features and/or data sources.

That's the optimistic scenario. I give it a 20% probability.

Migrating structured data this simple is a piece of cake for Google.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:51:35 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

LightWhale

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
I use a Google portfolio as well. I have a long list of stocks I follow and Google's solution was very useful at keeping an eye on price movements.

Same here, I use google finance portfolios daily. Unlike other websites, there's no limit on the number of portfolios or stocks within a portfolio.
Visually, all stocks across all portfolios are visible in one scroll, showing daily price movement. And within each portfolio, there is a variety of stats and charts. the features in FT are quite limited. Can anyone recommend a good substitute?

NeverLoseMoney

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

That's the optimistic scenario. I give it a 20% probability.

Migrating structured data this simple is a piece of cake for Google.
This Marketwatch article has some more details: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/google-finance-as-you-know-it-is-going-away-here-is-what-will-remain-2017-09-27
It sounds pretty horrible:

To replace the outgoing features, Google said that it plans to migrate users’ portfolios to Google’s search product, which will aim to analyze users’ interests and provide a report for users.

“As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to follow the stocks you’re interested in and receive the latest industry news and market trends, but the Portfolios feature will no longer be available as part of the service,” a Google spokeswoman wrote in an emailed statement.
RIP.

LC

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Seems silly to me...removing the most popular part of the product? True genius.

Next thing the email feature of Gmail will be replaced with an interactive game of telephone.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | khc | nke | mo | renx | c | wppgy | dis | cmp

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
Next thing the email feature of Gmail will be replaced with an interactive game of telephone.

LOL.

To replace the outgoing Gmail features, Google said that it plans to migrate users’ emails to Google’s search product, which will aim to analyze users’ interests and provide a report for users.

In other words, instead of sending and receiving emails, you'll be able to post something you write on the Internetz and intended recipient can search for it.

8)

ukvalueinvestment

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
Can anyone in the UK (or Europe) recommend a good replacement for Google Finance?  I am worried that if I use one of the US alternatives, like Yahoo Finance, I might not be able to get good data for some of the smaller and more esoteric UK securities.
@ukvalueinv