Author Topic: If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...  (Read 8521 times)

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: If you use Google Finance, now might be the time to...
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
I've had 3 lists over at Morningstar (a free account) for a while now & get daily emails for each.
The news blurbs attached to each email is scant & repetitive but seeing EOD price action makes it worthwhile.

SA provides a more significant news feed for watch lists but I don't get email alerts.

Keeping the 2 platform lists in sync is relatively easy since I add or subtract tickers infrequently (it is a tiny chore though...)

None of this may help if you're looking for automatic SS updates.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:16:54 AM by DooDiligence »
abc | abev | aapl | bbh | brk.b | cri | cvs | dva | dis | ew | ffxdf | gpc | mo | nvo | sftby | vde

8 months left in the BRK.B 1st of the month DCA program (hoping 4 a selloff 2 go all in!)

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Wait a sec, maybe it's not dead yet, Jim.

Signs of life again... Seeing pretty much 100% negative feedback on Twitter directed at Google for the new finance stuff, and hopefully people are also sending feedback using the "send feedback" link at the bottom of any search page.

Update: Out again at 1:06 PM...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:20:08 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

Junto

• Lifetime Member
    • My Company
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
I haven't used it yet but this site reached out to me on twitter. Wallmine.com

Looks relatively good.

JayGatsby

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
Looks like the pulled the plug on whatever is updating the prices..

Seems like one of these other sites would provide a similar view, but they all just seem so cluttered. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
And this morning it's back... I don't know what's going on, but there's a possibility that when they turned it off yesterday they got some backlash and now they're looking at their options and turning it off in the meantime.

In the event that this is what's going on, if you'd like to improve the odds of Google Finance staying around as a separate site (which are probably slim, but hey, doing nothing isn't helping at all), I suggest using the "send feedback" link at the bottom of Google Search pages and let them know what you think.

There's ever only a very tiny fraction of users sending feedback about a specific product, so it can make a difference when you do. It's easier for en engineer to tell a boss "hey, we got huge volume of complaints about this" to then get a change of direction. Long shot, I know.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

writser

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
I really hope they don't shut it down. Would be a huge pain to find a replacement for the collection of Google Sheets (with Google Finance pricing) that I've built over the past few years.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

rb

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
I really hope they don't shut it down. Would be a huge pain to find a replacement for the collection of Google Sheets (with Google Finance pricing) that I've built over the past few years.
Have you thought about using excel with the IB API?

rukawa

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »

What does the IB api provide?

rb

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »

It does lots of things. You can even trade from excel. But you can definitely set up stock lists and then pull prices and quotes from IB. That's very easy to do.

If you're a coder I'm thinking that you can do many cool things above and beyond that.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »

It does lots of things. You can even trade from excel. But you can definitely set up stock lists and then pull prices and quotes from IB. That's very easy to do.

If you're a coder I'm thinking that you can do many cool things above and beyond that.

I have an IB account but I don't pay for the real-time data feeds. Is the API still available, or is it only for paying data customers? Thanks.